Stone and Nixon

  • abbotts1@vianet.net.au
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 2, 2001
      To Tony

      Thank you for your reply once again. I have also read Jan's reply and
      saw the "cold finger" design but it looks a little complicated since
      this is my first still, maybe one for the future. I am interested in
      the Stone-Nixon style of condenser you have been recommending, and I
      was wondering (without telling me too much) if you could tell me
      their basic design principle for the cooler, but if you feel
      obligated not too I fully understand. Also you mentioned you could
      purchase their still design for US$5, but I went to their site and
      only saw the whole book for US$17.95, so if you could direct me I
      would be greatfull. One other thing, I found a website that sells
      glass fractioning stills http://www.floragenics.com/fraction.htm and
      thought you might want to include it in your website (which is great
      by the way). Just a thought.

      Chris.
    • Ackland, Tony (CALNZAS)
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 3, 2001
        The Nixon-Stone book is also available in PDF format, for US$8 (sorry, not
        $5)
        See http://www.gin-vodka.com/Main/main.html , which they'll then credit for
        $5 if you buy the book.

        I won't go into too much detail, as John & Mike have worked hard at
        producing their book, and rightly so charge for it. Its not for me to then
        give it away. The book does fully cover plans for producing both a beer
        stripper, then their final column, with a couple of different head designs.
        Includes construction tips & guidelines, as well as several pricing guides
        (e.g. copper vs. stainless steel or glass). At $8, I reckon its money well
        spent (unlike some of the "moonshine" books which are more stories than
        useful)

        The basic premise is that which standard/routine distillation columns are
        based on, e.g. as per any Chemical Engineering handbook (see
        http://lorien.ncl.ac.uk/ming/distil/distileqp.htm - the "top section"
        diagram). Once the distillate has passed up through the column, you fully
        condense all the vapour (i.e. only need one simple condenser). You then
        control how much distillate you divert off & keep (simple valve, no
        electronics), and thus how much is also returned to the column.

        Its incredibly simple, but effective. As there's only one cooling section,
        you only have to set one water flowrate. The temperature of the outlet
        water is also the temperature of the distillate, so you know what's going on
        there. You are controlling the amount of reflux based on volume, not any
        vagaries of heat transfer to pass-through tubes or external wrapping etc (so
        it won't change if your cooling water is too fast or slow or hotter or
        cooler). KISS. (and in parts, it doesn't really need to look like a still -
        hmmmmm......). The column is simple, without anything to mess with the
        heat & mass equilibrium's being developed inside (my hobby horse), and its
        insulated. Its all easy to pull apart & clean (as per Jan's request)

        Given that it's based on the basic distillation column design, its
        incredible that none of the commercially available hobby stills about (well,
        that I've seen) have utisilised it yet. I think that this is because they
        have been adapted from pot stills with a little experimentation, rather than
        bothering with looking at or understanding the theory that has been
        capitalised on by industry for the last 100 years or so.

        Yeah, call me a fan. And I haven't even finished building my one yet.
        Maybe I'm over-selling it, but its just because fundamentally it is so
        correct, easy to control, easy to adapt (i.e. it could use Jan's "cold
        finger", the pot could be what ever you want it to be) etc. Make up your
        own mind.

        Tony