RE: [Distillers] RE:Reflux still

  • Tony & Elle Ackland
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 2, 2001
      >plastic tubing). Also I would like to know your opinion on Jans still
      >because my design is reasonabily close, can it be improved on or is
      >there a better design altogether? Thanks again
      >Chris.

      For my 2c, I really like Jans still. Nice and tall, with scrubbers for
      packing, easy to clean, and simple to look at. And the new "cold finger"
      cooler looks like a great idea. About the only improvement I'd suggest
      would be to insulate the column - say with foam, or carpet backing etc, to
      minimise heat losses (maybe its been removed for the photos ?).

      Beyond that, it would be to convert it to the Nixon-Stone style of
      condensor (www.gin-vodka.com), where all the vapour is condensed, and you
      control how much is refluxed vs kept - a simple, clean design that
      simplifies how to do the cooling (no need to differentiate between reflux &
      distillate), is intrinsically safe, and gives you absolute control.

      Tony