Yeast washing

  • Ackland, Tony (CALNZAS)
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 2, 2001
      Just to pick up on an old thread again ... the story of reusing yeast to
      help keep the costs down.

      Here's a helpful post from CraftBrewing@egroups.com (a brewing group for
      Australians/Kiwis at eGroups), with a useful link ...

      Tony

      ******************** snip ********************************

      Date: Sat, 30 Dec 2000 00:02:59 +1100
      From: David Lamotte <webmaster@...>
      Subject: Re: Reusing yesat? how to?

      Sorry, but it is too late after a brewday to think through your issues in
      detail, but I would just like to reinforce sanitation during repitching.

      Now repitching is a great way to get huge amounts of yeast working for you
      quickly, but you can also get the same amount of bugs doing nasty things.
      Bacteria grow much more quickly than yeast, but are usually killed off as
      the yeast get going making alcohol and lowering the pH (both are kryptonite
      to bacteria). But the few that survive from the first brew quickly grow to
      millions in the second and trillions in the third .... So it can often take
      a few batches before you have to dump one down the drain.

      You can just save some of the slurry from the bottom of the fermenter, but
      it can only be repitched a few times as the 'gunk' builds up and coats the
      yeast. The information that you were looking for comes from Wyeast's home
      page (http://wyeastlab.com/hbrew/hbyewash.htm) and tells you how to wash
      and store your slurry. You can replace the plain water with an Acid wash
      which will kill any bacteria (but not wild yeast).

      Hope to write up a bit more in a few weeks for our web site....

      David