RE: [Distillers] Wash

  • Pete Sayers
    Message 1 of 13 , Jan 2, 2001
      Hi pilch, with regard to your query re aging vodka, try leaving your spirit
      in a container, in a warm spot, with the lid just "Cracked" open. This
      allows odours etc to "Bleed Off".As to your query re halving the sugar,
      WHY!!!!!. You wouldn't necessarily get a smell, but you would definitely get
      bugger all alcohol.Waste of time and energy really.
      All the best for the new year
      Pete

      Message 2 of 13 , Oct 8 6:03 PM
        Hi,

        by experience, a 11-12% alc. sugar wash can be
        kept at room temp. for at least 6 months in a
        fermentor sealed with an air-lock.
        If you don't have a seal, it's sure best to freeze it
        but it's so simple to get a sealed fermentor!

        Maxime Belair

        Lèche-vitrine ou lèche-écran ?
        magasinage.yahoo.ca
      • David W Lunsford
        Message 3 of 13 , Oct 8 6:43 PM
          Hey guys....My rig is udergoing mods at the time, but am wanting to start a
          wash...I like the Alcoteck 48 hr, in a 6 gal bucket. If my wash finishes
          before my mods, I know I can put the bucket into a cold atmosphere to not
          only clear it, but as in my case with an extra deep freezer at my disposal
          (which I planned to use to clear) to store or freeze wash until rig is back
          in operation.....My question is ...is it better to freeze and thaw, or
          freeze, chip and pour out the kliquid right into the boiler? Am afraid of
          volume loss to freezinh...azetropes???Greek to me...any way to store sugar
          wash??? Dave
        • homedistiller
          Message 4 of 13 , Oct 9 1:58 PM
            Some of the former, knowledgeable members of this forum claimed that
            freezing the (whiskey) wash and afterwards thawing and collecting the
            first part of it, resulted finally in a superior distillate.

            Dirk
          • Levi Langershank
            Message 5 of 13 , Oct 10 12:27 AM
              Superior in what way?...:>)

              >From: "homedistiller" <homedistiller@...>
              >

              >Some of the former, knowledgeable members of this forum claimed that
              >freezing the (whiskey) wash and afterwards thawing and collecting the
              >first part of it, resulted finally in a superior distillate.
              >
              >Dirk

            • dean
              Message 6 of 13 , Oct 10 6:24 AM
                I read somewhere it may have even been a post on this group that
                freezing alcohol can have the same effect as ageing it drastically. From
                memory 40 years.
                I don't know about freezing it, it would have to be very cold to freeze
                alcohol -117.3 degrees Celsius to be exact.
                I keep my Bourbon in the freezer -18 is the average for a household
                freezer. I buy Woodstock, the cheaper end of the whiskey/bourbon market
                in Oz. keeping it in the freezer seems to make it a very mellow easy to
                drink bourbon while at room temp (previously unchilled) Woodstock has a
                reputation as the nasty rough drink that the price tag suggests.
                I have friends with expensive tastes that have backed up my experience.
                I didn't show them what it was gave them a taste of Chilled bourbon
                which they swoar couldn't be Woodstock and then surprised them with the
                bottle.
                I haven't finished my still yet so I by it and I like the taste anyway.

                Dean.

                Levi Langershank wrote:

                >Superior in what way?...:>)
                >

                >>From: "homedistiller" <homedistiller@...>
                >>

                >>Some of the former, knowledgeable members of this forum claimed that
                >>freezing the (whiskey) wash and afterwards thawing and collecting the
                >>first part of it, resulted finally in a superior distillate.
                >>
                >>Dirk

                >Yahoo! Groups Links

              • Levi Langershank
                Message 7 of 13 , Oct 10 11:56 AM
                  My question refered to freezing a wash...you refer to freezing
                  alcohol.....:>)

                  .

                  >Dean.

                • Josh Wilson
                  Message 8 of 13 , Oct 11 9:22 AM
                    I have done that with wine.. after it has fermented I freeze it.. it ups the flavor and alcohol content..

                    Wilson
                    > >Some of the former, knowledgeable members of this forum claimed that
                    > >freezing the (whiskey) wash and afterwards thawing and collecting the
                    > >first part of it, resulted finally in a superior distillate.
                    > >
                    > >Dirk

                    > Yahoo! Groups Links

                  • Levi Langershank
                    Message 9 of 13 , Oct 11 10:54 AM
                      Yeah?....thanks for sharing that.....;>)

                      >From: "Josh Wilson" <lordwilson@...>
                      >To: Distillers@yahoogroups.com
                      >Subject: RE: [Distillers] Re: Wash
                      >Date: Mon, 11 Oct 2004 11:22:10 -0500
                      >
                      >I have done that with wine.. after it has fermented I freeze it.. it ups
                      >the flavor and alcohol content..
                      >
                      >Wilson

                    • homedistiller
                      Message 10 of 13 , Oct 11 2:00 PM
                        Tastewise better. After freeze concentrating the wash, Jack distilled
                        his whiskey in a potstill. So probably, freeze concentrating a wash
                        is a useful way to separate out some of the undesired flavours.

                        His report on this is on a page of Tony Ackland's site:

                        http://homedistiller.org/wash-grain.htm

                        --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Levi Langershank" <unit_77@h...>
                        wrote:
                        > Superior in what way?...:>)
                        >
                        > >From: "homedistiller" <homedistiller@y...>
                        > >

                        > >Some of the former, knowledgeable members of this forum claimed
                        that
                        > >freezing the (whiskey) wash and afterwards thawing and collecting
                        the
                        > >first part of it, resulted finally in a superior distillate.
                        > >
                        > >Dirk

                        > Is your PC infected? Get a FREE online computer virus scan from
                        McAfee®
                      • Levi Langershank
                        Message 11 of 13 , Oct 11 6:23 PM
                          Interesting...thanks...:>)

                          Message 12 of 13 , Oct 11 6:58 PM
                            Do you freeze the entire wash(except the low temp alc,. ) and then thaw the
                            whole batch?