Re: [Distillers] Couple of questions

  • steve a
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 2, 2001
      Smart thinking Adam.... i also wonder if freezing the
      wash would eliminate most of the fusels. At least then
      you would know for sure that your end product would be
      as pure as you could get it and you wouldn't have to
      worry about over distilling ! I guess the hard part
      would be getting the freezing temperature just right
      so the separation could take place !

      --- Adam Katsuragi <eva_unit_04@...> wrote:
      > 1. I think it was Tony that mentioned a
      > redistributor plate. For
      > the size of the stills being mentioned, would parts
      > of the sides of a
      > stainless-steel kitchen grater do?
      >
      > 2. To help dodge those bloody fusel oils and other
      > crap, why not
      > freeze the wash first (eg to -5 deg c)? Since (I
      > think) the fusel
      > oils have a higher freezing point than water, they
      > would stay behind
      > with (some of) the water as ice (again, no practical
      > experience here).

      http://photos.yahoo.com/
    • steve a
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 2, 2001
        Smart thinking Adam.... i also wonder if freezing the
        wash would eliminate most of the fusels. At least then
        you would know for sure that your end product would be
        as pure as you could get it and you wouldn't have to
        worry about over distilling ! I guess the hard part
        would be getting the freezing temperature just right
        so the separation could take place !

        --- Adam Katsuragi <eva_unit_04@...> wrote:
        > 1. I think it was Tony that mentioned a
        > redistributor plate. For
        > the size of the stills being mentioned, would parts
        > of the sides of a
        > stainless-steel kitchen grater do?
        >
        > 2. To help dodge those bloody fusel oils and other
        > crap, why not
        > freeze the wash first (eg to -5 deg c)? Since (I
        > think) the fusel
        > oils have a higher freezing point than water, they
        > would stay behind
        > with (some of) the water as ice (again, no practical
        > experience here).

        http://photos.yahoo.com/
      • Tony & Elle Ackland
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 3, 2001
          >2. To help dodge those bloody fusel oils and other crap, why not
          >freeze the wash first (eg to -5 deg c)? Since (I think) the fusel
          >oils have a higher freezing point than water, they would stay behind
          >with (some of) the water as ice (again, no practical experience here).

          Nope, wouldn't work. Of the couple listed with melting points at http://www.geocities.com/kiwi_distiller/methanol.htm#fusel ...

          methanol = -97.8 C
          (ethanol = -114.1 C)
          isopentyl = -117 C
          pentanol = -78 C

          They're all pretty cold, and too close to ethanol.

          Tony