Re: [Distillers] boiling chips

  • paul mccloud
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 24, 2000
      At any cooks supply store you can buy a boiling disc that is designed to put in the bottom of a pot. This will make a very loud rattle when boiling temp is reached. the design is about 2 inch round like a small wheel with a rim outside and a thin center.

        Brian Bashford <tipitina@...> wrote:

      Yes, I have somewhere, what appears to be the cut and rounded off bottom of
      a glass 1lb. jam jar which used to be sold for putting in the bottom of a
      saucepan of milk to prevent it boiling over.

                     Brian B.

      > Matt,
      >          Literally common sense but suprised how many people dont know
      this.
      > My grandmother and my mother always used a marble or two (normally what
      was
      > called a donker) when making jam which literally broke the boil and
      > preventing the jam burning on the bottom of the pan. I personally use a
      very
      > small handful of broken glass in the bottom of the still which helps to
      > diseminate the heat and gives you a better simmer.
      > B.r.,  David

      Do You Yahoo!?