85%, want more purity help

  • gravitygroper
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 2, 2003
      hi all, nice pad you have here!

      our first distillation went well and we got 85% from a plain sugar
      wash with our home made beer keg still... but we want to make it
      better already, heres why...

      our still is distilling 55L of wash at once and uses a Gas burner for
      heat with a 300mm SS wool packed column and reflux condenser. We want
      to improve 2 things, the recovery rate and the purity -which are at
      odds i know...

      First we will extend the column to 1.2meters to get better purity,
      should we insulate the column aswell or not???
      Is the SS wool a good idea?
      What diameter column is best for this size still?
      How can we improve our design to get better recovery rate but
      maintain purity?

      Our still is great, but any help tp make it better is much
      appreciated...
      Thanks,
      Nick
    • peter_vcb
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 2, 2003
        no need to dilute unless you wont cover the elements when the alcohol
        is gone. i would recommend quickly distilling/stripping the wash
        prior to a slow distillation. insulate the column. use s/s scrubbers
        like small springs or the amphora structured copper mesh, not fine
        steel wool like threads. we want surface are in packing and strands
        are low on area where the springy scrubbers are wide strips. column
        diameter depends on your power not the size of the pot. go slow, if
        you rush you will have to treat it or redistill it causing far longer
        times spent correcting crap spirit.

        --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "gravitygroper"
        <gravitygroper@y...> wrote:
        > hi all, nice pad you have here!
        >
        > our first distillation went well and we got 85% from a plain sugar
        > wash with our home made beer keg still... but we want to make it
        > better already, heres why...
        >
        > our still is distilling 55L of wash at once and uses a Gas burner
        for
        > heat with a 300mm SS wool packed column and reflux condenser. We
        want
        > to improve 2 things, the recovery rate and the purity -which are at
        > odds i know...
        >
        > First we will extend the column to 1.2meters to get better purity,
        > should we insulate the column aswell or not???
        > Is the SS wool a good idea?
        > What diameter column is best for this size still?
        > How can we improve our design to get better recovery rate but
        > maintain purity?
        >
        > Our still is great, but any help tp make it better is much
        > appreciated...
        > Thanks,
        > Nick
      • K&J
        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 2, 2003
          Nick,

          85% is really not bad for that sort of rig....try diluting and re
          distilling????yes insulate your column it does help...if you want to lift
          your purity you will have to sacrifice quantity....my still has a 1metre
          column of 65mm ss...the biggy is control of temperature at the head and
          maintaining your reflux ratio...I am at the moment doing a stripping run
          under reflux at 3000watts plus of a 25 litre wash and after 5 litres
          collected are still at 88% ( just tested a small collect of 250mls)will
          continue until around 10% then shut down and in the weekend dilute with
          water and do a controlled distill removing heads and tails which usually
          give me 94%plus for the take.When cut to 37.5% I usually get around 10
          litres of neutral spirit...hope this helps???
          cheers Ken Mc

          http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
          http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/e8NolB/TM

          .