On Grain Ferment: Alcohol loss?

  • Robert Stam
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 1, 2003
      Hi,

      I do my wheat vodka ferment on the grains, since I felt that there
      must still be fermentable sugars left in the grain after the mash is
      sparged. And why waste them?

      After the ferment is finished, I drain the wash off the grains and
      into my boiler. But there must be alcohol left in the grain still.
      Anyone have any idea what the best way to get this last lot out?
      Cheers, Rob
    • flaming_pinto
      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 1, 2003
        personally, I would rinse them with hot water through a collander.
        It will water your wash down a little but will recover a small amount
        of alcohol.

        --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Robert Stam" <Robert.Stam@b...>
        wrote:
        > Hi,
        >
        > I do my wheat vodka ferment on the grains, since I felt that there
        > must still be fermentable sugars left in the grain after the mash
        is
        > sparged. And why waste them?
        >
        > After the ferment is finished, I drain the wash off the grains and
        > into my boiler. But there must be alcohol left in the grain still.
        > Anyone have any idea what the best way to get this last lot out?
        > Cheers, Rob
      • taterbug_28649
        Message 3 of 7 , Oct 1, 2003
          wrote:
          > Hi,
          >
          > I do my wheat vodka ferment on the grains, since I felt that there
          > must still be fermentable sugars left in the grain after the mash
          is
          > sparged. And why waste them?
          >
          > After the ferment is finished, I drain the wash off the grains and
          > into my boiler. But there must be alcohol left in the grain still.
          > Anyone have any idea what the best way to get this last lot out?
          Cheers, Rob..> id add hot water suger and referment .it at least
          twice
        • Robert Stam
          Message 4 of 7 , Oct 1, 2003
            --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "flaming_pinto"
            <flaming_pinto@y...> wrote:
            > personally, I would rinse them with hot water through a collander.
            > It will water your wash down a little but will recover a small
            amount
            > of alcohol.

            Yep, sounds like a good idea. basically sparging the grains after the
            fermentation.

            Ideally I suppose I should build a boiler that can handle a grain
            wash, that way I'd get all the alcohol out.

            Cheers, Rob
          • Andrew Forsberg
            Message 5 of 7 , Oct 1, 2003
              On Thu, 2003-10-02 at 14:28, Robert Stam wrote:
              > Ideally I suppose I should build a boiler that can handle a grain
              > wash, that way I'd get all the alcohol out.

              Rob,

              If you do do this could you let me know how you go about it, and how
              successful or otherwise it turns out to be?

              It'd make my life a whole lot easier too -- but there are so many
              variables to consider: double boiler or gas, if gas, which one? how best
              to support the boiler, and what to make it from. Now perhaps I could
              convert the old lpg bbq into something more useful...

              Cheers
              Andrew
            • Robert Stam
              Message 6 of 7 , Oct 1, 2003
                Hi Andrew, sure thing. I haven't got past beyond thinking about it yet.

                A double boiler seems to be the way to go. And for ease of use, I'd probaly
                use electricty.

                Cheers, Rob

                On Thu, 2003-10-02 at 14:28, Robert Stam wrote:
                > Ideally I suppose I should build a boiler that can handle a grain
                > wash, that way I'd get all the alcohol out.

                Rob,

                If you do do this could you let me know how you go about it, and how
                successful or otherwise it turns out to be?

                It'd make my life a whole lot easier too -- but there are so many
                variables to consider: double boiler or gas, if gas, which one? how best
                to support the boiler, and what to make it from. Now perhaps I could
                convert the old lpg bbq into something more useful...

                Cheers
                Andrew

                Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=256694.4002236.5216697.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=17050416
                94:HM/A=1784493/R=0/id=noscript/SIG=11q7p9e7k/*http://webevents.yahoo.com/un
                iversal/intolerablecruelty/>

                <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=256694.4002236.5216697.1261774/D=egroupmai
                l/S=:HM/A=1784493/rand=249079928>

                To unsubscribe from this group send a blank email to
                distillers-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com
                <http://archive.nnytech.net/>
                <http://homedistiller.org>

                <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

                Notice of Legal Status and Confidential Information: This electronic mail message and any accompanying attachments may contain information that is privileged and CONFIDENTIAL. If you are not the intended recipient you are advised that any use, review, dissemination, distribution or reproduction of the information is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful. If you have received this document in error, please notify the sender immediately and destroy the message.

              • abbababbaccc
                Message 7 of 7 , Oct 1, 2003
                  I toss the whole mash including grains into a modified version of
                  amazing still. I use 80C temperature heater which won't scorch the
                  grains but gets almost all the alcohol out if I collect half the
                  volume. Here's few pics of the system
                  http://www.bryggforum.com/modules.php?
                  name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=132&start=100 It's in swedish but pics
                  should explain the idea. Using lower temp heater (45C) gives a bit
                  less harshness.

                  Greetz, Riku