RE: [Distillers] Cloudy mash even after clearing agent added

  • Murphy-Marsh, Leigh
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 1, 2003
      Dextrose is the best (apparently) for yeast but it's very expensive compared to plain sugar for the value (if any) gained.
      My turbos don't clear entirely either.

      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 1, 2003
        Here is an update on my mash.

        I siphoned it out of the fermentation bucket after I added the
        clearing agent and waited for a day. Then I covered it and set it
        outside where it has been for a day. When I got back from work today
        I noticed that there was a two inch layer of perfectly clear liquid on
        the top of the cloudy liquid. Also I noticed that there was some more
        yeast settling to the bottom. I wonder how long before the whole
        thing is clear?

        I used dextrose because I have found in the past if you try to do
        things as cheap as possible it is usually a lot harder in the end. It
        might not be the case here but why chance a second class run.

        Nerdfest

        --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Murphy-Marsh, Leigh"
        <Leigh.Murphy-Marsh@w...> wrote:
        > Dextrose is the best (apparently) for yeast but it's very expensive
        compared to plain sugar for the value (if any) gained.
        > My turbos don't clear entirely either.

        distillers-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

        http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
      • Boot
        Message 3 of 7 , Oct 2, 2003
          I'd throw it in the still mate and let 'er rip. You should see the
          raw-sugar-induced muck that I distill -- and it comes out as pure and
          lovely as you could ever want. I only use a teaspoon or two of beer finings
          and let it sit for a day. It remains extremely cloudy even so.

          As long as you're not dumping huge volumes of lee sediment into the still,
          it should be fine.

          Good luck.

          Boot.