Re: QUESTION: what happens if you add too much yeast

  • corn_wash
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 1, 2003
      sounds like a waste of good yeast, i use 1tsp. per gallon

      --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, Zarklan Zhaphedoix
      <fermentsindarkness@y...> wrote:
      > I have used 1lb of bakers yeast per 10 gallon mash and now have 20
      gallons going using 1lb for all 20 gallons. Is this about the
      correct ratio of yeast to mash. I do get a violent initial
      fermentation and then it tapers off a bit.

      > toddk63 <toddk63@y...> wrote:the best, quickest fermentation you
      ever had.... Seriously it is hard
      > to overpitch, though not impossible. Take a look at how much yeast
      is
      > left over after you clear and rack the wash into the still. That is
      > about the optimum amount to add to the next wash.
      >
      > Todd K.
      >
      > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "corn_wash" <corn_wash@y...>
      wrote:
      > > if you say add 1 1/2 to 2 times the yeast needed what is the
      worst
      > > outcome????????
      >

      > Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT
      >
      > To unsubscribe from this group send a blank email to distillers-
      unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

      Service.

    • Boot
      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 2, 2003
        >sounds like a waste of good yeast, i use 1tsp. per gallon

        I second that! Man, that's a lot of yeast. Mine does pretty well with two
        tablespoons in 60-70 litres (16-18 US gallons), and even that can get
        violent after 12 hours if the temp and nutrients are right.

        Boot.