Re: [Distillers] Re: QUESTION: what happens if you add too much yeast

  • Zarklan Zhaphedoix
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 1, 2003
      I have used 1lb of bakers yeast per 10 gallon mash and now have 20 gallons going using 1lb for all 20 gallons. Is this about the correct ratio of yeast to mash. I do get a violent initial fermentation and then it tapers off a bit.

      toddk63 <toddk63@...> wrote:the best, quickest fermentation you ever had.... Seriously it is hard
      to overpitch, though not impossible. Take a look at how much yeast is
      left over after you clear and rack the wash into the still. That is
      about the optimum amount to add to the next wash.

      Todd K.

      --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "corn_wash" <corn_wash@y...> wrote:
      > if you say add 1 1/2 to 2 times the yeast needed what is the worst
      > outcome????????

      Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

    • corn_wash
      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 1, 2003
        sounds like a waste of good yeast, i use 1tsp. per gallon

        --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, Zarklan Zhaphedoix
        <fermentsindarkness@y...> wrote:
        > I have used 1lb of bakers yeast per 10 gallon mash and now have 20
        gallons going using 1lb for all 20 gallons. Is this about the
        correct ratio of yeast to mash. I do get a violent initial
        fermentation and then it tapers off a bit.

        > toddk63 <toddk63@y...> wrote:the best, quickest fermentation you
        ever had.... Seriously it is hard
        > to overpitch, though not impossible. Take a look at how much yeast
        is
        > left over after you clear and rack the wash into the still. That is
        > about the optimum amount to add to the next wash.
        >
        > Todd K.
        >
        > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "corn_wash" <corn_wash@y...>
        wrote:
        > > if you say add 1 1/2 to 2 times the yeast needed what is the
        worst
        > > outcome????????
        >

        > Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT
        >
        > To unsubscribe from this group send a blank email to distillers-
        unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

        Service.

      • Boot
        Message 3 of 7 , Oct 2, 2003
          >sounds like a waste of good yeast, i use 1tsp. per gallon

          I second that! Man, that's a lot of yeast. Mine does pretty well with two
          tablespoons in 60-70 litres (16-18 US gallons), and even that can get
          violent after 12 hours if the temp and nutrients are right.

          Boot.