Re: [Distillers] Re: Moving on From Counter-Flow Cooling....

  • Austin Smith
    Message 1 of 13 , Oct 1, 2003
      That was a quote from the Prenzel (New Zealand) Distillery website. The final word from the land of the Kiwi, so to speak. ;-p

    • steve_j_alexander
      Message 2 of 13 , Oct 24, 2003
        Rodmac - what exactly is the point of distilling for highest, purest
        ethanol content ? Industrial alcohol like this is cheap and even
        after paying the taxes your time would be better spent working a few
        hours at MacDonalds and using the proceeds to purchase lab grade
        ethanol. The time and effort of small scale distilling make your
        goal uneconomic.

        > Many of us are simply interested in producing the very purest
        C2H5OH
        > we possibly can with absolutely no other "impurity" except a very
        > small amount of H2O.

        Boring.

        I disagree with Austin too in one regard. Copper *may* play a role
        in some background flavors, but it is not the alcohol and copper that
        are interacting. It's unlikely that excellent beverage brandy or
        whisky cannot be distilled in stainless.

        >> Any fine beverage alcohol has to be distilled in a copper vessel.
        >> complicated catalytic reaction takes place between the copper and
        the
        >> hot alcoholic vapour

        That's myth and mystique. Where is the analysis to back that
        extravegant claim ?
      • peter_vcb
        Message 3 of 13 , Oct 24, 2003
          i wouldnt recommend drinking industrial alcohol, especially 99.9%
          which may have benzene in it. i have never smelt industiral stuff
          which was nice, and yes it was pure ethanol with taxes paid. i like
          my pure alcohol since i get no hangovers from it too, when i was in
          university some guys drank absolute ethanol and had splitting
          headaches. very pure alcohol may seem "boring" but most mix it or add
          essences so a pure product is what they want.

          the copper does strip out sulphides and probably other nasties from
          your alcohol, this is not a myth there are details on
          www.homedistiller.org many on these groups have found this to be
          fact, myself included. i have read that some distilleries made
          whiskey stills from s/s and the spirits tasted awful so they had to
          bring copper into the vapour path.

          economics are not the main issue for most here, i would rather spend
          10 hours operating my still at home than 10 hours working in McDs. a
          bottle costs me 1 euro to make and 22euro in the shop. distilling is
          a hobby a past-time which people enjoy doing like cooking.

          Peter

          --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "steve_j_alexander" <steve-
          alexander@a...> wrote:
          > Rodmac - what exactly is the point of distilling for highest,
          purest
          > ethanol content ? Industrial alcohol like this is cheap and even
          > after paying the taxes your time would be better spent working a
          few
          > hours at MacDonalds and using the proceeds to purchase lab grade
          > ethanol. The time and effort of small scale distilling make your
          > goal uneconomic.
          >
          > > Many of us are simply interested in producing the very purest
          > C2H5OH
          > > we possibly can with absolutely no other "impurity" except a very
          > > small amount of H2O.
          >
          > Boring.
          >

          > I disagree with Austin too in one regard. Copper *may* play a role
          > in some background flavors, but it is not the alcohol and copper
          that
          > are interacting. It's unlikely that excellent beverage brandy or
          > whisky cannot be distilled in stainless.
          >

          > >> Any fine beverage alcohol has to be distilled in a copper
          vessel.
          > >> complicated catalytic reaction takes place between the copper
          and
          > the
          > >> hot alcoholic vapour
          >
          > That's myth and mystique. Where is the analysis to back that
          > extravegant claim ?
        • BOKAKOB
          Message 4 of 13 , Oct 24, 2003
            Steve, in accepting your statements any "homedistiller" will ruin the aura of "making it myself" and accept the label of being a simple alcoholic. The other way is the challenge, may be that is what you are missing. So, ease off a little. By the way, mentioning McDonald as the source of income tells me a lot...
            What do YOU brew?

            steve_j_alexander <steve-alexander@...> wrote:
            Rodmac - what exactly is the point of distilling for highest, purest ethanol content ? Industrial alcohol like this is cheap and even after paying the taxes your time would be better spent working a few hours at MacDonalds and using the proceeds to purchase lab grade
            ethanol. The time and effort of small scale distilling make your goal uneconomic.

            > Many of us are simply interested in producing the very purest C2H5OH we possibly can with absolutely no other "impurity" except a very small amount of H2O.

            Boring.

            I disagree with Austin too in one regard. Copper *may* play a role in some background flavors, but it is not the alcohol and copper that are interacting. It's unlikely that excellent beverage brandy or whisky cannot be distilled in stainless.

            >> Any fine beverage alcohol has to be distilled in a copper vessel. A complicated catalytic reaction takes place between the copper and the hot alcoholic vapour

            That's myth and mystique. Where is the analysis to back that extravegant claim ?

            I can be wrong I must say
            Cheers, Alex...

          • Robert Elliott
            Message 5 of 13 , Oct 24, 2003
              Hi Group,

              Not only that, when your friends come around and compliment you on your
              product (unless they are praising the fact that are receiving a freebie),
              then it makes it all worthwhile. No hangovers here mate.

              Cheers,

              Bob.

              alexander@a...> wrote:
              > Rodmac - what exactly is the point of distilling for highest,
              purest
              > ethanol content ? Industrial alcohol like this is cheap and even
              > after paying the taxes your time would be better spent working a
              few
              > hours at MacDonalds and using the proceeds to purchase lab grade
              > ethanol. The time and effort of small scale distilling make your
              > goal uneconomic.
              >
              > > Many of us are simply interested in producing the very purest
              > C2H5OH
              > > we possibly can with absolutely no other "impurity" except a very
              > > small amount of H2O.
              >
              > Boring.
              >

              > I disagree with Austin too in one regard. Copper *may* play a role
              > in some background flavors, but it is not the alcohol and copper
              that
              > are interacting. It's unlikely that excellent beverage brandy or
              > whisky cannot be distilled in stainless.
              >

              > >> Any fine beverage alcohol has to be distilled in a copper
              vessel.
              > >> complicated catalytic reaction takes place between the copper
              and
              > the
              > >> hot alcoholic vapour
              >
              > That's myth and mystique. Where is the analysis to back that
              > extravegant claim ?

              To unsubscribe from this group send a blank email to
              distillers-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

            • Robert Elliott
              Message 6 of 13 , Oct 24, 2003
                Heartfelt sentiments from more than 1 member !

                Steve, in accepting your statements any "homedistiller" will ruin the aura
                of "making it myself" and accept the label of being a simple alcoholic. The
                other way is the challenge, may be that is what you are missing. So, ease
                off a little. By the way, mentioning McDonald as the source of income tells
                me a lot...
                What do YOU brew?

                steve_j_alexander <steve-alexander@...> wrote:
                Rodmac - what exactly is the point of distilling for highest, purest ethanol
                content ? Industrial alcohol like this is cheap and even after paying the
                taxes your time would be better spent working a few hours at MacDonalds and
                using the proceeds to purchase lab grade
                ethanol. The time and effort of small scale distilling make your goal
                uneconomic.
              • Zarklan Zhaphedoix
                Message 7 of 13 , Oct 24, 2003
                  Uses for homebrew industrial high quality alcohol.

                  I read about a drink called Lemoncella and made some. Thi sis a wonderful drink and the neutral spirit makes it work.

                  My Recipe:

                  Peel the rind off of 4 lemons and put in a mayonaise jar(the peel). Fill the jar half way up to cover the lemon peels with the high quality neutral spirit. Dump in 1 cup of sugar. Fill the rest of the jar with water.

                  Let it sit for four days and decant the liquor into a fancy fliptop glass bottle.

                  Open, Drink, Impress

                  I gave some of this to a friend of mine that had the real lemoncella as a special gift from a resturant owner whilst my friend was on his honeymoon in Italy. He said that my crafted beverage was spot on.

                  Enjoy..

                  BOKAKOB <bokakob@...> wrote:
                  Steve, in accepting your statements any "homedistiller" will ruin the aura of "making it myself" and accept the label of being a simple alcoholic. The other way is the challenge, may be that is what you are missing. So, ease off a little. By the way, mentioning McDonald as the source of income tells me a lot...
                  What do YOU brew?

                  steve_j_alexander <steve-alexander@...> wrote:
                  Rodmac - what exactly is the point of distilling for highest, purest ethanol content ? Industrial alcohol like this is cheap and even after paying the taxes your time would be better spent working a few hours at MacDonalds and using the proceeds to purchase lab grade
                  ethanol. The time and effort of small scale distilling make your goal uneconomic.

                  > Many of us are simply interested in producing the very purest C2H5OH we possibly can with absolutely no other "impurity" except a very small amount of H2O.

                  Boring.

                  I disagree with Austin too in one regard. Copper *may* play a role in some background flavors, but it is not the alcohol and copper that are interacting. It's unlikely that excellent beverage brandy or whisky cannot be distilled in stainless.

                  >> Any fine beverage alcohol has to be distilled in a copper vessel. A complicated catalytic reaction takes place between the copper and the hot alcoholic vapour

                  That's myth and mystique. Where is the analysis to back that extravegant claim ?

                  I can be wrong I must say
                  Cheers, Alex...

                  Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

                • Austin Smith
                  Message 8 of 13 , Oct 24, 2003
                    Is that the goal, here. Economics? Have you seen the stills some of these guys have built? I'm thinking challenge, hobby, pleasure, adventure. And maybe they save some money, too, but then maybe not.

                  • Robert Elliott
                    Message 9 of 13 , Oct 24, 2003
                      Hi Group,

                      Can you please be a little more accurate with the measurements, ie size of
                      the jar (does it really have to be a mayonnaise jar??), strength of the
                      spirit. Sounds very interesting and I would like to try.

                      Cheers,

                      Bob

                      BOKAKOB <bokakob@...> wrote:
                      Steve, in accepting your statements any "homedistiller" will ruin the aura
                      of "making it myself" and accept the label of being a simple alcoholic. The
                      other way is the challenge, may be that is what you are missing. So, ease
                      off a little. By the way, mentioning McDonald as the source of income tells
                      me a lot...
                      What do YOU brew?

                      steve_j_alexander <steve-alexander@...> wrote:
                      Rodmac - what exactly is the point of distilling for highest, purest ethanol
                      content ? Industrial alcohol like this is cheap and even after paying the
                      taxes your time would be better spent working a few hours at MacDonalds and
                      using the proceeds to purchase lab grade
                      ethanol. The time and effort of small scale distilling make your goal
                      uneconomic.

                      > Many of us are simply interested in producing the very purest C2H5OH we
                      possibly can with absolutely no other "impurity" except a very small amount
                      of H2O.

                      Boring.

                      I disagree with Austin too in one regard. Copper *may* play a role in some
                      background flavors, but it is not the alcohol and copper that are
                      interacting. It's unlikely that excellent beverage brandy or whisky cannot
                      be distilled in stainless.

                      >> Any fine beverage alcohol has to be distilled in a copper vessel. A
                      complicated catalytic reaction takes place between the copper and the hot
                      alcoholic vapour

                      That's myth and mystique. Where is the analysis to back that extravegant
                      claim ?

                      I can be wrong I must say
                      Cheers, Alex...

                      Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

                      To unsubscribe from this group send a blank email to
                      distillers-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

                    • rodmacd2000
                      Message 10 of 13 , Oct 24, 2003
                        The point is to produce a very smooth neutral tasting vodka which
                        will not cause hangover symptoms. I personally mix it with sufficient
                        fruit juice so that dehydration is not an issue. Others use it as a
                        basis for gin or mix with one of the many essences which are readily
                        available.

                        This is not for everyone, of course. Strangely to me some people seem
                        to enjoy ethyl alcohol which has a little ethyl acetate, propyl
                        alcohol etc mixed in. I dunno - maybe they are a little masochistic
                        and get some pleasure from a hangover?

                        To each his/her own.

                        PS I believe it is reasonably well established that copper somewhere
                        in your still (column, packing, condensation coil) will react with
                        any nasty smelling hydrogen sulphide which may be in your wash water.

                        alexander@a...> wrote:
                        > Rodmac - what exactly is the point of distilling for highest,
                        purest
                        > ethanol content ? Industrial alcohol like this is cheap and even
                        > after paying the taxes your time would be better spent working a
                        few
                        > hours at MacDonalds and using the proceeds to purchase lab grade
                        > ethanol. The time and effort of small scale distilling make your
                        > goal uneconomic.
                        >
                        > > Many of us are simply interested in producing the very purest
                        > C2H5OH
                        > > we possibly can with absolutely no other "impurity" except a very
                        > > small amount of H2O.
                        >
                        > Boring.
                        >

                        > I disagree with Austin too in one regard. Copper *may* play a role
                        > in some background flavors, but it is not the alcohol and copper
                        that
                        > are interacting. It's unlikely that excellent beverage brandy or
                        > whisky cannot be distilled in stainless.
                        >

                        > >> Any fine beverage alcohol has to be distilled in a copper
                        vessel.
                        > >> complicated catalytic reaction takes place between the copper
                        and
                        > the
                        > >> hot alcoholic vapour
                        >
                        > That's myth and mystique. Where is the analysis to back that
                        > extravegant claim ?
                      • Zarklan Zhaphedoix
                        Message 11 of 13 , Oct 24, 2003
                          Sorry about the measurement problem.

                          The Mayonnaise jar I used was a quart.

                          So being a little more specific... the recipe is as follows:

                          Remove the outmost layer of the peel from 4 lemons each being about 4/5th the size of a healthy man's fist(mine).

                          Place the peels in a quart jar.

                          Fill the jar with some uncut high quality 90%+ ethanol. This should take @1 pint

                          Add one cup of sugar

                          Fill the rest of the jar with about a 1pint with tap water

                          Place lid on jar and shake like the devil

                          I put mine in a cabinet for 4 days and then decanted off the lemony yellow drink. I used a funnel and stored it in a fancy french sparkling lemonade bottle with a ceramic(plastic) cap and wire bail.

                          It really was a hit and is easy to make.

                          Let me know if you make it and how you like it.