QUESTION: what happens if you add too much yeast

  • corn_wash
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 1, 2003
      --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "corn_wash" <corn_wash@y...> wrote:
      > if you say add 1 1/2 to 2 times the yeast needed what is the worst
      > outcome????????
    • toddk63
      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 1, 2003
        the best, quickest fermentation you ever had.... Seriously it is hard
        to overpitch, though not impossible. Take a look at how much yeast is
        left over after you clear and rack the wash into the still. That is
        about the optimum amount to add to the next wash.

        Todd K.

        --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "corn_wash" <corn_wash@y...> wrote:
        > if you say add 1 1/2 to 2 times the yeast needed what is the worst
        > outcome????????
      • toddk63
        Message 3 of 7 , Oct 1, 2003
          The extremes of over pitching will result in autolysis, where the
          yeast eats its dead brothers. This causes a rubbery, sulfury smell /
          taste. Next time you rack, save the dregs in a jar and refrigerate.
          They remain fresh yeasty smelling for about a week or two after a
          month, it will have the unmistakeable smell of autolysis.

          Todd K.

          --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "corn_wash" <corn_wash@y...> wrote:
          > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "corn_wash" <corn_wash@y...> wrote:
          > > if you say add 1 1/2 to 2 times the yeast needed what is the worst
          > > outcome????????
        • Zarklan Zhaphedoix
          Message 4 of 7 , Oct 1, 2003
            I have used 1lb of bakers yeast per 10 gallon mash and now have 20 gallons going using 1lb for all 20 gallons. Is this about the correct ratio of yeast to mash. I do get a violent initial fermentation and then it tapers off a bit.

            toddk63 <toddk63@...> wrote:the best, quickest fermentation you ever had.... Seriously it is hard
            to overpitch, though not impossible. Take a look at how much yeast is
            left over after you clear and rack the wash into the still. That is
            about the optimum amount to add to the next wash.

            Todd K.

            --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "corn_wash" <corn_wash@y...> wrote:
            > if you say add 1 1/2 to 2 times the yeast needed what is the worst
            > outcome????????

            Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

          • corn_wash
            Message 5 of 7 , Oct 1, 2003
              sounds like a waste of good yeast, i use 1tsp. per gallon

              --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, Zarklan Zhaphedoix
              <fermentsindarkness@y...> wrote:
              > I have used 1lb of bakers yeast per 10 gallon mash and now have 20
              gallons going using 1lb for all 20 gallons. Is this about the
              correct ratio of yeast to mash. I do get a violent initial
              fermentation and then it tapers off a bit.

              > toddk63 <toddk63@y...> wrote:the best, quickest fermentation you
              ever had.... Seriously it is hard
              > to overpitch, though not impossible. Take a look at how much yeast
              is
              > left over after you clear and rack the wash into the still. That is
              > about the optimum amount to add to the next wash.
              >
              > Todd K.
              >
              > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "corn_wash" <corn_wash@y...>
              wrote:
              > > if you say add 1 1/2 to 2 times the yeast needed what is the
              worst
              > > outcome????????
              >

              > Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT
              >
              > To unsubscribe from this group send a blank email to distillers-
              unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

              Service.

            • Boot
              Message 6 of 7 , Oct 2, 2003
                >sounds like a waste of good yeast, i use 1tsp. per gallon

                I second that! Man, that's a lot of yeast. Mine does pretty well with two
                tablespoons in 60-70 litres (16-18 US gallons), and even that can get
                violent after 12 hours if the temp and nutrients are right.

                Boot.