Re: Cloudy mash even after clearing agent added

  • corn_wash
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 1, 2003
      when i started i strained, now i fermint,and distill in the cooker
      thein clean & redistill the orignal mash is always brown or white if
      a sugar wash but as bob says (I can be wrong I must say)

      > It is normal and safe.
      >
      > nerdfest2002 <kingnerd@e...> wrote:This is my first fermentating
      ever and I have a question.

      > I added Still Spirits Turbo Clear yesterday morning to my mash to
      clear it up. This morning all of the yeast had dropped but the
      remaining liquid is not clear and has a light green tint. It smells
      good though.
      > I used Still Spirits Turbo Extra yeast and dextrose. The SG looked
      good through the whole process. Started around 1.120 and finished at
      around .980. I siphoned the cloudy liquid off into another container
      without the lees and stuck it outside in the cold (~60degrees).
      Could this have been caused by using plain city tap water? Dose the
      resulting liquid need to be clear? Is it still safe to distill.

      > I can be wrong I must say
      > Cheers, Alex...

    • Murphy-Marsh, Leigh
      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 1, 2003
        Dextrose is the best (apparently) for yeast but it's very expensive compared to plain sugar for the value (if any) gained.
        My turbos don't clear entirely either.

        Message 3 of 7 , Oct 1, 2003
          Here is an update on my mash.

          I siphoned it out of the fermentation bucket after I added the
          clearing agent and waited for a day. Then I covered it and set it
          outside where it has been for a day. When I got back from work today
          I noticed that there was a two inch layer of perfectly clear liquid on
          the top of the cloudy liquid. Also I noticed that there was some more
          yeast settling to the bottom. I wonder how long before the whole
          thing is clear?

          I used dextrose because I have found in the past if you try to do
          things as cheap as possible it is usually a lot harder in the end. It
          might not be the case here but why chance a second class run.

          Nerdfest

          --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Murphy-Marsh, Leigh"
          <Leigh.Murphy-Marsh@w...> wrote:
          > Dextrose is the best (apparently) for yeast but it's very expensive
          compared to plain sugar for the value (if any) gained.
          > My turbos don't clear entirely either.

          distillers-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

          http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
        • Boot
          Message 4 of 7 , Oct 2, 2003
            I'd throw it in the still mate and let 'er rip. You should see the
            raw-sugar-induced muck that I distill -- and it comes out as pure and
            lovely as you could ever want. I only use a teaspoon or two of beer finings
            and let it sit for a day. It remains extremely cloudy even so.

            As long as you're not dumping huge volumes of lee sediment into the still,
            it should be fine.

            Good luck.

            Boot.