Re: [Distillers] Cloudy mash even after clearing agent added

  • BOKAKOB
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 1, 2003
      It is normal and safe.

      nerdfest2002 <kingnerd@...> wrote:This is my first fermentating ever and I have a question.

      I added Still Spirits Turbo Clear yesterday morning to my mash to clear it up. This morning all of the yeast had dropped but the remaining liquid is not clear and has a light green tint. It smells good though.
      I used Still Spirits Turbo Extra yeast and dextrose. The SG looked good through the whole process. Started around 1.120 and finished at around .980. I siphoned the cloudy liquid off into another container without the lees and stuck it outside in the cold (~60degrees). Could this have been caused by using plain city tap water? Dose the resulting liquid need to be clear? Is it still safe to distill.

      I can be wrong I must say
      Cheers, Alex...

    • corn_wash
      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 1, 2003
        when i started i strained, now i fermint,and distill in the cooker
        thein clean & redistill the orignal mash is always brown or white if
        a sugar wash but as bob says (I can be wrong I must say)

        > It is normal and safe.
        >
        > nerdfest2002 <kingnerd@e...> wrote:This is my first fermentating
        ever and I have a question.

        > I added Still Spirits Turbo Clear yesterday morning to my mash to
        clear it up. This morning all of the yeast had dropped but the
        remaining liquid is not clear and has a light green tint. It smells
        good though.
        > I used Still Spirits Turbo Extra yeast and dextrose. The SG looked
        good through the whole process. Started around 1.120 and finished at
        around .980. I siphoned the cloudy liquid off into another container
        without the lees and stuck it outside in the cold (~60degrees).
        Could this have been caused by using plain city tap water? Dose the
        resulting liquid need to be clear? Is it still safe to distill.

        > I can be wrong I must say
        > Cheers, Alex...

      • Murphy-Marsh, Leigh
        Message 3 of 7 , Oct 1, 2003
          Dextrose is the best (apparently) for yeast but it's very expensive compared to plain sugar for the value (if any) gained.
          My turbos don't clear entirely either.

          Message 4 of 7 , Oct 1, 2003
            Here is an update on my mash.

            I siphoned it out of the fermentation bucket after I added the
            clearing agent and waited for a day. Then I covered it and set it
            outside where it has been for a day. When I got back from work today
            I noticed that there was a two inch layer of perfectly clear liquid on
            the top of the cloudy liquid. Also I noticed that there was some more
            yeast settling to the bottom. I wonder how long before the whole
            thing is clear?

            I used dextrose because I have found in the past if you try to do
            things as cheap as possible it is usually a lot harder in the end. It
            might not be the case here but why chance a second class run.

            Nerdfest

            --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Murphy-Marsh, Leigh"
            <Leigh.Murphy-Marsh@w...> wrote:
            > Dextrose is the best (apparently) for yeast but it's very expensive
            compared to plain sugar for the value (if any) gained.
            > My turbos don't clear entirely either.

            distillers-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

            http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
          • Boot
            Message 5 of 7 , Oct 2, 2003
              I'd throw it in the still mate and let 'er rip. You should see the
              raw-sugar-induced muck that I distill -- and it comes out as pure and
              lovely as you could ever want. I only use a teaspoon or two of beer finings
              and let it sit for a day. It remains extremely cloudy even so.

              As long as you're not dumping huge volumes of lee sediment into the still,
              it should be fine.

              Good luck.

              Boot.