Re: Cloudy mash even after clearing agent added

  • flaming_pinto
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 1, 2003
      I have never personally seen a clear mash. Mine are always
      brown/cloudy. When the big distilleries distill a mash, it is
      usually still on the grains and as cloudy as hell.

      Unless you are brewing beer or wine to bottle, don't worry about the
      cloudyness, as long as the yeast has dropped it will not affect the
      final distillate. Alot of us don't even worry about the yeast
      dropping before distilling, but that is a matter of great debate and
      personal taste.

      flaming_pinto

      DISCLAIMER: I am an amateur just like you, it is entirely possible
      that I am wrong on any given subject. Take all advice accordingly!

      --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "nerdfest2002" <kingnerd@e...>
      wrote:
      > This is my first fermentating ever and I have a question.
      >
      > I added Still Spirits Turbo Clear yesterday morning to my mash to
      > clear it up. This morning all of the yeast had dropped but the
      > remaining liquid is not clear and has a light green tint. It smells
      > good though.
      >
      > I used Still Spirits Turbo Extra yeast and dextrose. The SG looked
      > good through the whole process. Started around 1.120 and finished
      at
      > around .980.
      >
      > I siphoned the cloudy liquid off into another container without the
      > lees and stuck it outside in the cold (~60degrees). Could this have
      > been caused by using plain city tap water? Dose the resulting
      liquid
      > need to be clear? Is it still safe to distill.
    • BOKAKOB
      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 1, 2003
        It is normal and safe.

        nerdfest2002 <kingnerd@...> wrote:This is my first fermentating ever and I have a question.

        I added Still Spirits Turbo Clear yesterday morning to my mash to clear it up. This morning all of the yeast had dropped but the remaining liquid is not clear and has a light green tint. It smells good though.
        I used Still Spirits Turbo Extra yeast and dextrose. The SG looked good through the whole process. Started around 1.120 and finished at around .980. I siphoned the cloudy liquid off into another container without the lees and stuck it outside in the cold (~60degrees). Could this have been caused by using plain city tap water? Dose the resulting liquid need to be clear? Is it still safe to distill.

        I can be wrong I must say
        Cheers, Alex...

      • corn_wash
        Message 3 of 7 , Oct 1, 2003
          when i started i strained, now i fermint,and distill in the cooker
          thein clean & redistill the orignal mash is always brown or white if
          a sugar wash but as bob says (I can be wrong I must say)

          > It is normal and safe.
          >
          > nerdfest2002 <kingnerd@e...> wrote:This is my first fermentating
          ever and I have a question.

          > I added Still Spirits Turbo Clear yesterday morning to my mash to
          clear it up. This morning all of the yeast had dropped but the
          remaining liquid is not clear and has a light green tint. It smells
          good though.
          > I used Still Spirits Turbo Extra yeast and dextrose. The SG looked
          good through the whole process. Started around 1.120 and finished at
          around .980. I siphoned the cloudy liquid off into another container
          without the lees and stuck it outside in the cold (~60degrees).
          Could this have been caused by using plain city tap water? Dose the
          resulting liquid need to be clear? Is it still safe to distill.

          > I can be wrong I must say
          > Cheers, Alex...

        • Murphy-Marsh, Leigh
          Message 4 of 7 , Oct 1, 2003
            Dextrose is the best (apparently) for yeast but it's very expensive compared to plain sugar for the value (if any) gained.
            My turbos don't clear entirely either.

            Message 5 of 7 , Oct 1, 2003
              Here is an update on my mash.

              I siphoned it out of the fermentation bucket after I added the
              clearing agent and waited for a day. Then I covered it and set it
              outside where it has been for a day. When I got back from work today
              I noticed that there was a two inch layer of perfectly clear liquid on
              the top of the cloudy liquid. Also I noticed that there was some more
              yeast settling to the bottom. I wonder how long before the whole
              thing is clear?

              I used dextrose because I have found in the past if you try to do
              things as cheap as possible it is usually a lot harder in the end. It
              might not be the case here but why chance a second class run.

              Nerdfest

              --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Murphy-Marsh, Leigh"
              <Leigh.Murphy-Marsh@w...> wrote:
              > Dextrose is the best (apparently) for yeast but it's very expensive
              compared to plain sugar for the value (if any) gained.
              > My turbos don't clear entirely either.

              distillers-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

              http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
            • Boot
              Message 6 of 7 , Oct 2, 2003
                I'd throw it in the still mate and let 'er rip. You should see the
                raw-sugar-induced muck that I distill -- and it comes out as pure and
                lovely as you could ever want. I only use a teaspoon or two of beer finings
                and let it sit for a day. It remains extremely cloudy even so.

                As long as you're not dumping huge volumes of lee sediment into the still,
                it should be fine.

                Good luck.

                Boot.