Re: Help with Sourmash and backset

  • flaming_pinto
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 1, 2003
      Thanks for the great info Wal,

      The article you linked misses an important distinction between
      Tennessee Whisk(e)y and Kentucky Bourbon:

      By law, Tennessee whisk(e)y is bourbon that has been charcoal
      filtered prior to being put into the cask.

      A seemingly minor distinction, to be sure, but an important one to
      the Jack Daniels brand which spends 4 days on charcoal, lightening
      the flavor immensely.

      flaming_pinto

      > 'So what is Bourbon exactly'
      > http://www.realbeer.com/maltadvocate/W94/W94BOURB.html
      > Wal
      > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "waljaco" <waljaco@h...> wrote:
      > > The backset from the post-distillation wash is added to a new
      mash for
      > > whiskey and rum to increase the acidity so as to deter bacterial
      > > infection. Industrially it is a cheaper way to alter the pH.
      Might be