Re: Help with Sourmash and backset

    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 1, 2003
      'So what is Bourbon exactly'
      http://www.realbeer.com/maltadvocate/W94/W94BOURB.html
      Wal
      > The backset from the post-distillation wash is added to a new mash for
      > whiskey and rum to increase the acidity so as to deter bacterial
      > infection. Industrially it is a cheaper way to alter the pH. Might be
      > useful if your fermentation is open. Not sure if it does anything for
      > flavor.
      > Wal
      > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "taterbug_28649"
      > <taterbug_28649@y...> wrote:
      > > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "flaming_pinto"
      > > <flaming_pinto@y...> wrote:
      > > > I am making a sourmash bourbon. Do I take the backset from the pre
      > > > or post-distillation wash? I know I need to add 25% of the
      > > previous
      > > > wash to the next wash to make a true sourmash whiskey, I just don't
      > > > know if that backset should be distilled on not before adding it to
      > > > the next batch.
      > > >
      > > > Tony? Wal?
      > > >
      > > > flaming_Pinto you use the post
    • flaming_pinto
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 1, 2003
        Thanks for the great info Wal,

        The article you linked misses an important distinction between
        Tennessee Whisk(e)y and Kentucky Bourbon:

        By law, Tennessee whisk(e)y is bourbon that has been charcoal
        filtered prior to being put into the cask.

        A seemingly minor distinction, to be sure, but an important one to
        the Jack Daniels brand which spends 4 days on charcoal, lightening
        the flavor immensely.

        flaming_pinto