Re: Counter-flow in condensor coil

  • mwmccaw
    Message 1 of 53 , Oct 1, 2003
      Hi, Boot!
      I *believe* (not having done the experment) that tipping the coil
      will have a significant effect. Having the coil at an angle has at
      least two effects - rising vapor now sees both sides of the coil,
      instead of shooting up the middle, and (assuming that the coil is in
      a section of tubing attached with an elbow) the change in direction
      creates turbulence inthe flow, which will bring more of the vapor in
      direct contact with the coil.
      For the record, outlet temperature in the experment below was about
      50 deg C, so our cooling efficiencies are quite similar. The key
      point I was driving at was that a moderately short coil, when driven
      from the top, could not condense all the vapor because the action
      was happening too high in the coil.
      Mike

      --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, Boot <mr.boot@o...> wrote:

      > >You kinda lost me on the parallel / serial stuff. Sorry. Can't
      quite
      > >conceive of vapour working like that.
      >
      > Did I actually use the word serial? I can't seem to find it in my
      post. I
      > thought I used the terms parallel-flow and counter-flow, meaning
      (for want
      > of anything better) when the coolant flows in the same [overall]
      direction
      > as, and the opposite direction to the vapour, respectively. I'll
      give you
      > an Old English translation as soon as I can figure it out,
      Beowulf.
> [...]
      which
      > might make her look more favourably upon your distilling efforts.
      >
      > >The condenser's output was so hot that my poor old lemon tree had
      nothing
      > >about it for weeks after. There was a lot of inefficiently
      transferred heat
      > >rolling out via the condenser water straight onto its roots. Poor
      thing.

      > This is the interesting part. As Steve suggests, maybe it's
      because in your
      > current configuration the condensate is dripping off the coil at a
      higher
      > temp, whereas previously the coolant was carrying more heat away.
      >
      > Steve writes:
      > >we could use this principal in the design of future condensers by
      > >providing a way for the freshly condensed liquid to get of the
      coils
      > >as quickly as possibe.
      >
      > I have done just this. When I was obsessing on the design of my
      still head
      > I didn't like the idea of liquid spiralling down the coils,
      getting hotter
      > and insulating the vapour from the copper surface, so for this and
      other
      > reasons I tilted the head at a 45 deg. angle. This forces the
      liquid to
      > drip off each winding of the coil.
      >
      > Mine would be a good test case, then, to see if this factor is
      what is
      > causing the difference in performance reported by some. If your
      theory is
      > right Steve, my setup should be comparatively unaffected by
      changes in
      > coolant direction flow. I have my coolant flowing from the top
      down, but I
      > do get very hot alcohol output (this is a problem actually when
      doing
      > de-refluxed pseudo-potstill runs as the outlet ejects vapour). Nor
      do I
      > seem to use that much coolant, even at the 2500 watts I often
      distill at.
      > I'm doing a stripping run as I write, running with 2000 watts
      electricity
      > plus roughly 500 watts worth of gas boosting. My coolant is around
      15
      > celsius going in, a weed-killing 66 out, and I'm using 440 mls/min
      or so. I
      > have heaps of cooling capacity in reserve with 10 inches of wound
      1/4 in.
      > tube. So does this defy what Mike says below or is it because of
      my unique
      > arrangement?
      >
      > >A 50 mm diameter coil 200 ml long will cool 1500 Watts in the
      first
      > >50mm of its length when fed from the bottom with about 350 ml/min
      > >cooling water (depending on inlet temperature of course).
      > >That same coil will allow vapor to escape at almost any achievable

    • toddk63
      Message 53 of 53 , Oct 2, 2003
        Dr. Cones method in "The Compleat Distiller" spells it out pretty
        clearly. If you don't have a copy of that. Here is another good info
        source:

        http://www.scottlab.com/nutrient.htm

        http://www.grapestompers.com/articles/yeast_nutrients.htm

        http://consumer.lallemand.com/danstar-lalvin/fermaidwine.html