Re: Help with Sourmash and backset

  • taterbug_28649
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 1, 2003
      --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "flaming_pinto"

      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 1, 2003
        The backset from the post-distillation wash is added to a new mash for
        whiskey and rum to increase the acidity so as to deter bacterial
        infection. Industrially it is a cheaper way to alter the pH. Might be
        useful if your fermentation is open. Not sure if it does anything for
        flavor.
        Wal
        --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "taterbug_28649"

        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 1, 2003
          'So what is Bourbon exactly'
          http://www.realbeer.com/maltadvocate/W94/W94BOURB.html
          Wal
          > The backset from the post-distillation wash is added to a new mash for
          > whiskey and rum to increase the acidity so as to deter bacterial
          > infection. Industrially it is a cheaper way to alter the pH. Might be
          > useful if your fermentation is open. Not sure if it does anything for
          > flavor.
          > Wal
          > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "taterbug_28649"
          > <taterbug_28649@y...> wrote:
          > > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "flaming_pinto"
          > > <flaming_pinto@y...> wrote:
          > > > I am making a sourmash bourbon. Do I take the backset from the pre
          > > > or post-distillation wash? I know I need to add 25% of the
          > > previous
          > > > wash to the next wash to make a true sourmash whiskey, I just don't
          > > > know if that backset should be distilled on not before adding it to
          > > > the next batch.
          > > >
          > > > Tony? Wal?
          > > >
          > > > flaming_Pinto you use the post
        • flaming_pinto
          Message 4 of 6 , Oct 1, 2003
            Thanks for the great info Wal,

            The article you linked misses an important distinction between
            Tennessee Whisk(e)y and Kentucky Bourbon:

            By law, Tennessee whisk(e)y is bourbon that has been charcoal
            filtered prior to being put into the cask.

            A seemingly minor distinction, to be sure, but an important one to
            the Jack Daniels brand which spends 4 days on charcoal, lightening
            the flavor immensely.

            flaming_pinto