Re: La Fabrication du Grand Marnier

    Message 1 of 8 , Oct 1, 2003
      The mineral oil is for cosmetic reasons, it is used on raisins too. It
      can be washed off. Probably only some oranges have it anyway. Some say
      it is better to use organic citrus to ensure no spray was used. I use
      fresh peel. Dried peel is used for export and storage reasons I imagine.
      Wal
      --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, maxime belair <maxime_belair@y...>

      Message 2 of 8 , Nov 8, 2004
        This msg 14752 needs corrections
        See also msg 3064 'Curacao or Triple-sec'

        From one kilogram of oranges (approx. 4-5 oranges), you get -
        1) 400-500ml juice
        2) 400-500g peel (white & zest)
        3) 120g fresh zest
        4) 80g sugars (orange juice is 8% sugar, 1.2% acid)

        It appears that the zest from 3-4 oranges (80g) per litre of 50%abv
        is a good flavouring quantity. This is eqivalent to about 1.5ml of
        orange essential oil/litre or about 1/4 teaspoonful or 25 drops
        (metric spoon = 5ml = 100 drops).

        For 5 litres of 50%abv you would need the zest from about 15-20
        oranges which is around 3kg. You could peel the zest and then juice
        the oranges giving you 1.2-1.5 litres of juice to add to your 20
        litres of sugar wash. Macerate the zest in the 50%abv for 2 weeks and
        then redistill to obtain a 'Triple-sec'/Curacao distillate. Add sugar
        to sweeten.

        wal