Help with Sourmash and backset

  • flaming_pinto
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 1, 2003
      I am making a sourmash bourbon. Do I take the backset from the pre
      or post-distillation wash? I know I need to add 25% of the previous
      wash to the next wash to make a true sourmash whiskey, I just don't
      know if that backset should be distilled on not before adding it to
      the next batch.

      Tony? Wal?

      flaming_Pinto
    • taterbug_28649
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 1, 2003
        --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "flaming_pinto"
        <flaming_pinto@y...> wrote:
        > I am making a sourmash bourbon. Do I take the backset from the pre
        > or post-distillation wash? I know I need to add 25% of the
        previous
        > wash to the next wash to make a true sourmash whiskey, I just don't
        > know if that backset should be distilled on not before adding it to
        > the next batch.
        >
        > Tony? Wal?
        >
        > flaming_Pinto you use the post
      • taterbug_28649
        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 1, 2003

          Message 4 of 6 , Oct 1, 2003
            The backset from the post-distillation wash is added to a new mash for
            whiskey and rum to increase the acidity so as to deter bacterial
            infection. Industrially it is a cheaper way to alter the pH. Might be
            useful if your fermentation is open. Not sure if it does anything for
            flavor.
            Wal
            --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "taterbug_28649"

            Message 5 of 6 , Oct 1, 2003
              'So what is Bourbon exactly'
              http://www.realbeer.com/maltadvocate/W94/W94BOURB.html

              Message 6 of 6 , Oct 1, 2003
                Thanks for the great info Wal,

                The article you linked misses an important distinction between
                Tennessee Whisk(e)y and Kentucky Bourbon:

                By law, Tennessee whisk(e)y is bourbon that has been charcoal
                filtered prior to being put into the cask.

                A seemingly minor distinction, to be sure, but an important one to
                the Jack Daniels brand which spends 4 days on charcoal, lightening
                the flavor immensely.

                flaming_pinto