Re: [Distillers] Re: La Fabrication du Grand Marnier

  • maxime belair
    Message 1 of 8 , Oct 1, 2003
      Is the wax used for oranges comestible?
      Does it give a bad taste to the liquor?

      And another thing, why sould the peels be dried before
      use? Does it really makes a difference?

      Thank you very much to share your knowledge,

      Max B.

      ---------------------------------
      The bitter oranges are called Seville oranges and are
      used to make
      English breakfast marmalade. The Arabs introduced them
      to Spain. I
      bought some this season and found that it is only the
      flesh that is
      slightly bitter. The skin is apparently slightly
      milder than sweet
      oranges. There is an Italian (Calabria) variety and a
      smaller variety
      used to make the Italian Chinotto soft drink (soda).
      I use Valencia
      oranges (juicing variety) from my garden successfully
      for both
      Cointreau style and Grand Marnier style liqueurs.
      Commercial oranges
      can be waxed though.

      Wal

      --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, maxime belair
      <maxime_belair@y...>
      wrote:
      > What are and where can we find those special
      "bitter

      http://www.grandmarnier.com/gmv2/us/manufacture/manu-0-all.htm

      http://www.grandmarnier.com/gmv2/us/manufacture/manu-3-neauphle.htm

      > You get about 250 g of orange peel from 1 kg of
      > oranges. Assuming an
      > essential oil yield of 1.5-2%, 250 g of peel should
      > give you 3.5-5 ml
      > of essential oil (1/2-1tsp). Recipes suggest that
      150
      > g of peel/litre
      > is sufficient flavoring which could be up to 1/2 tsp
      > of essential
      > oil/litre. So you would need to macerate at least
      150
      > g of orange
      > peel in 50%abv grape spirit and then redistill. Then
      > add oak chips
      > and sugar.
      > Or you can just add 1/2 tsp of bitter orange
      essential
      > oil to your
      > oaked spirit/brandy and add sugar.
      > (The orange juice yield from 1 kg of oranges is
      about
      > 500 ml.)
      >
      > Wal

      Lèche-vitrine ou lèche-écran ?
      magasinage.yahoo.ca
      Message 2 of 8 , Oct 1, 2003
        The mineral oil is for cosmetic reasons, it is used on raisins too. It
        can be washed off. Probably only some oranges have it anyway. Some say
        it is better to use organic citrus to ensure no spray was used. I use
        fresh peel. Dried peel is used for export and storage reasons I imagine.

        Message 3 of 8 , Nov 8, 2004
          This msg 14752 needs corrections
          See also msg 3064 'Curacao or Triple-sec'

          From one kilogram of oranges (approx. 4-5 oranges), you get -
          1) 400-500ml juice
          2) 400-500g peel (white & zest)
          3) 120g fresh zest
          4) 80g sugars (orange juice is 8% sugar, 1.2% acid)

          It appears that the zest from 3-4 oranges (80g) per litre of 50%abv
          is a good flavouring quantity. This is eqivalent to about 1.5ml of
          orange essential oil/litre or about 1/4 teaspoonful or 25 drops
          (metric spoon = 5ml = 100 drops).

          For 5 litres of 50%abv you would need the zest from about 15-20
          oranges which is around 3kg. You could peel the zest and then juice
          the oranges giving you 1.2-1.5 litres of juice to add to your 20
          litres of sugar wash. Macerate the zest in the 50%abv for 2 weeks and
          then redistill to obtain a 'Triple-sec'/Curacao distillate. Add sugar
          to sweeten.

          wal