Re: Counter-flow in condensor coil

  • Boot
    Message 1 of 53 , Oct 1, 2003
      >You kinda lost me on the parallel / serial stuff. Sorry. Can't quite
      >conceive of vapour working like that.

      Did I actually use the word serial? I can't seem to find it in my post. I
      thought I used the terms parallel-flow and counter-flow, meaning (for want
      of anything better) when the coolant flows in the same [overall] direction
      as, and the opposite direction to the vapour, respectively. I'll give you
      an Old English translation as soon as I can figure it out, Beowulf.
      Speaking of which, I'm sure you've already done this, but you must be sure
      to impress upon your betrothed that the word "honeymoon" refers to the
      practice of getting merry on [honey] mead following the big day, which
      might make her look more favourably upon your distilling efforts.

      >The condenser's output was so hot that my poor old lemon tree had nothing
      >about it for weeks after. There was a lot of inefficiently transferred heat
      >rolling out via the condenser water straight onto its roots. Poor thing.

      This is the interesting part. As Steve suggests, maybe it's because in your
      current configuration the condensate is dripping off the coil at a higher
      temp, whereas previously the coolant was carrying more heat away.

      Steve writes:
      >we could use this principal in the design of future condensers by
      >providing a way for the freshly condensed liquid to get of the coils
      >as quickly as possibe.

      I have done just this. When I was obsessing on the design of my still head
      I didn't like the idea of liquid spiralling down the coils, getting hotter
      and insulating the vapour from the copper surface, so for this and other
      reasons I tilted the head at a 45 deg. angle. This forces the liquid to
      drip off each winding of the coil.

      Mine would be a good test case, then, to see if this factor is what is
      causing the difference in performance reported by some. If your theory is
      right Steve, my setup should be comparatively unaffected by changes in
      coolant direction flow. I have my coolant flowing from the top down, but I
      do get very hot alcohol output (this is a problem actually when doing
      de-refluxed pseudo-potstill runs as the outlet ejects vapour). Nor do I
      seem to use that much coolant, even at the 2500 watts I often distill at.
      I'm doing a stripping run as I write, running with 2000 watts electricity
      plus roughly 500 watts worth of gas boosting. My coolant is around 15
      celsius going in, a weed-killing 66 out, and I'm using 440 mls/min or so. I
      have heaps of cooling capacity in reserve with 10 inches of wound 1/4 in.
      tube. So does this defy what Mike says below or is it because of my unique
      arrangement?

      >A 50 mm diameter coil 200 ml long will cool 1500 Watts in the first
      >50mm of its length when fed from the bottom with about 350 ml/min
      >cooling water (depending on inlet temperature of course).
      >That same coil will allow vapor to escape at almost any achievable
      >coolant flow rate if fed from the top.

      This is an excellent discussion.

      Boot
    • toddk63
      Message 53 of 53 , Oct 2, 2003
        Dr. Cones method in "The Compleat Distiller" spells it out pretty
        clearly. If you don't have a copy of that. Here is another good info
        source:

        http://www.scottlab.com/nutrient.htm

        http://www.grapestompers.com/articles/yeast_nutrients.htm

        http://consumer.lallemand.com/danstar-lalvin/fermaidwine.html