QUESTION: what happens if you add too much yeast

  • corn_wash
    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 30 9:09 PM
      if you say add 1 1/2 to 2 times the yeast needed what is the worst
      outcome????????
    • corn_wash
      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 1, 2003
        --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "corn_wash" <corn_wash@y...> wrote:
        > if you say add 1 1/2 to 2 times the yeast needed what is the worst
        > outcome????????
      • toddk63
        Message 3 of 7 , Oct 1, 2003
          the best, quickest fermentation you ever had.... Seriously it is hard
          to overpitch, though not impossible. Take a look at how much yeast is
          left over after you clear and rack the wash into the still. That is
          about the optimum amount to add to the next wash.

          Todd K.

          --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "corn_wash" <corn_wash@y...> wrote:
          > if you say add 1 1/2 to 2 times the yeast needed what is the worst
          > outcome????????
        • toddk63
          Message 4 of 7 , Oct 1, 2003
            The extremes of over pitching will result in autolysis, where the
            yeast eats its dead brothers. This causes a rubbery, sulfury smell /
            taste. Next time you rack, save the dregs in a jar and refrigerate.
            They remain fresh yeasty smelling for about a week or two after a
            month, it will have the unmistakeable smell of autolysis.

            Todd K.

            --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "corn_wash" <corn_wash@y...> wrote:
            > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "corn_wash" <corn_wash@y...> wrote:
            > > if you say add 1 1/2 to 2 times the yeast needed what is the worst
            > > outcome????????
          • Zarklan Zhaphedoix
            Message 5 of 7 , Oct 1, 2003
              I have used 1lb of bakers yeast per 10 gallon mash and now have 20 gallons going using 1lb for all 20 gallons. Is this about the correct ratio of yeast to mash. I do get a violent initial fermentation and then it tapers off a bit.

              toddk63 <toddk63@...> wrote:the best, quickest fermentation you ever had.... Seriously it is hard
              to overpitch, though not impossible. Take a look at how much yeast is
              left over after you clear and rack the wash into the still. That is
              about the optimum amount to add to the next wash.

              Todd K.

              --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "corn_wash" <corn_wash@y...> wrote:
              > if you say add 1 1/2 to 2 times the yeast needed what is the worst
              > outcome????????

              Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

            • corn_wash
              Message 6 of 7 , Oct 1, 2003
                sounds like a waste of good yeast, i use 1tsp. per gallon

                --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, Zarklan Zhaphedoix
                <fermentsindarkness@y...> wrote:
                > I have used 1lb of bakers yeast per 10 gallon mash and now have 20
                gallons going using 1lb for all 20 gallons. Is this about the
                correct ratio of yeast to mash. I do get a violent initial
                fermentation and then it tapers off a bit.

                > toddk63 <toddk63@y...> wrote:the best, quickest fermentation you
                ever had.... Seriously it is hard
                > to overpitch, though not impossible. Take a look at how much yeast
                is
                > left over after you clear and rack the wash into the still. That is
                > about the optimum amount to add to the next wash.
                >
                > Todd K.
                >
                > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "corn_wash" <corn_wash@y...>
                wrote:
                > > if you say add 1 1/2 to 2 times the yeast needed what is the
                worst
                > > outcome????????
                >

                > Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT
                >
                > To unsubscribe from this group send a blank email to distillers-
                unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

                Service.

              • Boot
                Message 7 of 7 , Oct 2, 2003
                  >sounds like a waste of good yeast, i use 1tsp. per gallon

                  I second that! Man, that's a lot of yeast. Mine does pretty well with two
                  tablespoons in 60-70 litres (16-18 US gallons), and even that can get
                  violent after 12 hours if the temp and nutrients are right.

                  Boot.