Re: Brown distillate: Can it be the tea ?

  • corn_wash
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 30, 2003
      sounds like trash in the still, check the scrubbers for rust,strain
      it through a filter & redistill it after cleaning the still

      --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Procule le Guizou" <procule@y...>
      wrote:
      > Hello all !
      > Long time since my last run...
      >
      > I saw on Tony's site something about tannin and I added
      > a tea pouche while boiling the water to see if it would
      > change something to the fermentation.
      >
      > The 20L of wort is now all fermented after 1½ week.
      > Yesterday I distilled it and... the distillate was coming
      > brownish!
      >
      > I wondered what it could be and I thought about the tea.
      > Can it have some volatile stuff that got into my distillate ?
      >
      > I just looked at the 65% alcohol sitting on the counter this morning
      > and now I see that the brown stuff seems to "clump" together.
      > Filtration seems to remove most of the stuff. (fiouf!)
      >
      > Any idea ? :-)
      >
      > Thank you,
      > Procule
    • tipringwaterpipe
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 30, 2003
        Velly intersting corn_ wash. First, some background. I get my sugar from Costco. $27.xx CDN for 40 Kg's. I have to go to the chiropracter every time I load one of those suckers into my van. From this I get 5 batches of wash. I distill 1 batch at a time and if all goes well, I can get through 2 batches at a time b4 I shut down. When I drain my boiler b4 adding the next batch, the dishcharge looks similar to what was put in. But if I shut down a run b4 it's finished, and start again, when that run is finished, the drainage from the boiler does look like tea/coffee. The product looks good btw, but there is definetly something going on. I'm not overly concerned, it's just an observation, but if anyone has some insight, great.
        Down-the-Hatch
        Tip
        PS: I have only 22 more working days until I retire. Oct 31st Yahoo fn whooooo!!!!

        wrote:
        > Hello all !
        > Long time since my last run...
        >
        > I saw on Tony's site something about tannin and I added
        > a tea pouche while boiling the water to see if it would
        > change something to the fermentation.
        >
        > The 20L of wort is now all fermented after 1� week.
        > Yesterday I distilled it and... the distillate was coming
        > brownish!
        >
        > I wondered what it could be and I thought about the tea.
        > Can it have some volatile stuff that got into my distillate ?
        >
        > I just looked at the 65% alcohol sitting on the counter this morning
        > and now I see that the brown stuff seems to "clump" together.
        > Filtration seems to remove most of the stuff. (fiouf!)
        >
        > Any idea ? :-)
        >
        > Thank you,
        > Procule

        Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

      • CornFed (Randy)
        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 30, 2003
          wrote:
          > Hello all !
          > Long time since my last run...

          How long between runs? Hot ethanol is a superior parts cleaning
          solvent. It could very easily have rinsed something collected on
          interior parts between runs.

          Having said that. Tea has a measureable quantity of essential oil.
          The herbal varieties have more than others. It could coat the
          interior parts also and be washed into the finished product.