La Fabrication du Grand Marnier

    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 29, 2003
      For the traditional way of making Grand Marnier -
      http://www.grandmarnier.com/gmv2/us/manufacture/manu-0-all.htm
      http://www.grandmarnier.com/gmv2/us/manufacture/manu-3-neauphle.htm

      You get about 250 g of orange peel from 1 kg of oranges. Assuming an
      essential oil yield of 1.5-2%, 250 g of peel should give you 3.5-5 ml
      of essential oil (1/2-1tsp). Recipes suggest that 150 g of peel/litre
      is sufficient flavoring which could be up to 1/2 tsp of essential
      oil/litre. So you would need to macerate at least 150 g of orange
      peel in 50%abv grape spirit and then redistill. Then add oak chips
      and sugar.
      Or you can just add 1/2 tsp of bitter orange essential oil to your
      oaked spirit/brandy and add sugar.
      (The orange juice yield from 1 kg of oranges is about 500 ml.)

      Wal
    • maxime belair
      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 30, 2003
        What are and where can we find those special "bitter
        oranges". Does it really make a difference from
        normal oranges.

        Anyone had experince using normal oranges or bitter
        oranges?

        Thanks,
        Max B.

        ---------------------------------
[...]

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ADVERTISEMENT

        To unsubscribe from this group send a blank email to
        distillers-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

        Terms of Service.

        Lèche-vitrine ou lèche-écran ?
        magasinage.yahoo.ca
        Message 3 of 8 , Sep 30, 2003
          The bitter oranges are called Seville oranges and are used to make
          English breakfast marmalade. The Arabs introduced them to Spain. I
          bought some this season and found that it is only the flesh that is
          slightly bitter. The skin is apparently slightly milder than sweet
          oranges. There is an Italian (Calabria) variety and a smaller variety
          used to make the Italian Chinotto soft drink (soda). I use Valencia
          oranges (juicing variety) from my garden successfully for both
          Cointreau style and Grand Marnier style liqueurs. Commercial oranges
          can be waxed though.

          Wal

          --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, maxime belair <maxime_belair@y...>
          wrote:
          > What are and where can we find those special "bitter
          > oranges". Does it really make a difference from
          > normal oranges.
          >
          > Anyone had experince using normal oranges or bitter
          > oranges?
          >
          > Thanks,
          > Max B.
          >
          > ---------------------------------
          > For the traditional way of making Grand Marnier -
          > http://www.grandmarnier.com/gmv2/us/manufacture/manu-0-all.htm
          > http://www.grandmarnier.com/gmv2/us/manufacture/manu-3-neauphle.htm
          >
          > You get about 250 g of orange peel from 1 kg of
          > oranges. Assuming an
          > essential oil yield of 1.5-2%, 250 g of peel should
          > give you 3.5-5 ml
          > of essential oil (1/2-1tsp). Recipes suggest that 150
          > g of peel/litre
          > is sufficient flavoring which could be up to 1/2 tsp
          > of essential
          > oil/litre. So you would need to macerate at least 150
          > g of orange
          > peel in 50%abv grape spirit and then redistill. Then
          > add oak chips
          > and sugar.
          > Or you can just add 1/2 tsp of bitter orange essential
          > oil to your
          > oaked spirit/brandy and add sugar.
          > (The orange juice yield from 1 kg of oranges is about
          > 500 ml.)
          >
          > Wal
          >

          > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ADVERTISEMENT
          >
          > To unsubscribe from this group send a blank email to
          > distillers-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

          > Terms of Service.

          > Lèche-vitrine ou lèche-écran ?
          > magasinage.yahoo.ca
        • BOKAKOB
          Message 4 of 8 , Sep 30, 2003
            I think, bitter oranges are wild or hybrid type which is NOT usually cultivated. It grows freely along boulevards of some southerns Europian cities. It is free and therefore are used.

            maxime belair <maxime_belair@...> wrote:What are and where can we find those special "bitter
            oranges". Does it really make a difference from
            normal oranges. Anyone had experince using normal oranges or bitter oranges? Thanks, Max B.

            I can be wrong I must say
            Cheers, Alex...

            Message 5 of 8 , Sep 30, 2003
              Grand Marnier get their dried peels from their own orchards in Haiti.
              The island of Curacao produces a lot.
              Cointreau uses both bitter and sweet oranges (from southern France).
              Wal
              > I think, bitter oranges are wild or hybrid type which is NOT
              usually cultivated. It grows freely along boulevards of some
              southerns Europian cities. It is free and therefore are used.

              > maxime belair <maxime_belair@y...> wrote:What are and where can we
              find those special "bitter
              > oranges". Does it really make a difference from
              > normal oranges. Anyone had experince using normal oranges or bitter
              oranges? Thanks, Max B.

              > I can be wrong I must say
              > Cheers, Alex...

            • maxime belair
              Message 6 of 8 , Oct 1, 2003
                Is the wax used for oranges comestible?
                Does it give a bad taste to the liquor?

                And another thing, why sould the peels be dried before
                use? Does it really makes a difference?

                Thank you very much to share your knowledge,

                Max B.

                ---------------------------------

                Message 7 of 8 , Oct 1, 2003
                  The mineral oil is for cosmetic reasons, it is used on raisins too. It
                  can be washed off. Probably only some oranges have it anyway. Some say
                  it is better to use organic citrus to ensure no spray was used. I use
                  fresh peel. Dried peel is used for export and storage reasons I imagine.

                  Message 8 of 8 , Nov 8, 2004
                    This msg 14752 needs corrections
                    See also msg 3064 'Curacao or Triple-sec'

                    From one kilogram of oranges (approx. 4-5 oranges), you get -
                    1) 400-500ml juice
                    2) 400-500g peel (white & zest)
                    3) 120g fresh zest
                    4) 80g sugars (orange juice is 8% sugar, 1.2% acid)

                    It appears that the zest from 3-4 oranges (80g) per litre of 50%abv
                    is a good flavouring quantity. This is eqivalent to about 1.5ml of
                    orange essential oil/litre or about 1/4 teaspoonful or 25 drops
                    (metric spoon = 5ml = 100 drops).

                    For 5 litres of 50%abv you would need the zest from about 15-20
                    oranges which is around 3kg. You could peel the zest and then juice
                    the oranges giving you 1.2-1.5 litres of juice to add to your 20
                    litres of sugar wash. Macerate the zest in the 50%abv for 2 weeks and
                    then redistill to obtain a 'Triple-sec'/Curacao distillate. Add sugar
                    to sweeten.

                    wal