Greetings

  • Des
    Message 1 of 11 , Dec 23, 1999
      I would like to wish everyone subscribed to the Distillers list a very
      Merry Christmas and a great year 2000.

      Thank you to all who have participated in the list with postings, advice,
      and information. There are now 115 members from a number of different
      countries. Special thanks to Brian, Mike, Ray, and others for their
      worthwhile contributions.

      I hope the list continues to expand through 2000 and that through shared
      knowledge many will gain a greater understanding of the principles and
      techniques involved in distillation of alcohol.

      I will be around some days between now and mid January and will endevour to
      claer the message board regularily.

      Regards to eveyone and your families.

      Des
      topkiwi
      Code Imports
      Manufacture, Wholesale, and Retail of alcohol Distillation equipment and
      ingredients.
      Homepage: http://homepages.ihug.co.nz/~topkiwi
      Distillers discussion list at: http://www.onelist.com/subscribe/Distillers
    • klaussteiner2000 <giddyup06@aol.com>
      Message 2 of 11 , Dec 10, 2002
        Greetings all. Thank you for allowing me into your group. I have a
        few questions that might have already been answered moons ago but
        here goes.

        I have been brewing beer for well over 15 years now and have it
        perfected. In the USA there is a good chance in the near future a law
        will be passed much like the one for home brewed beer. I intend to be
        ready. Here is what I would like to know.

        What is the correct temp to hold the kettle at while cooking off the
        mash? I have been told 172 degrees. This will insure non toxic (E
        type)spirits. At what temp does the toxic "M type" STOP being a
        problem in the condensor? Will it continue to cook off at the 172
        mark? If so then how long should I allow this to "dump" before I
        start saving the good?

        Mash. With beer I culture my own yeast and reuse it for up too 5
        batches. Can you use the dregs of a prior mash to start another? I
        would think this mash to be at "high krauesen".

        Ingredients. What is the more popular?

        Has anyone made schnapps?

        Finally. Does anyone have plans for a simple distillery? I am a
        commercial plumber and can make any part I need if I have a picture
        or description.
      • BOKAKOB
        Message 3 of 11 , Dec 10, 2002

          Hello and welcome!
          You asked mighty lot of questions! I will try to help you with a few ones as good as I can. I built a still which proved to work very well. Others did the same wirth same result. Please check at this location http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Distillers/files/OFTS/ and in the "Files" section and at the site www.homedistiller.org I think it depends on what you like and what is easier for you to build. Also, do a search in the group with the words that interest you. If you use simply one word you will get a better results.
          Cheers, Alex...

           "klaussteiner2000 <giddyup06@...>" <giddyup06@...> wrote:

          Greetings all.  Thank you for allowing me into your group. I have a few questions that might have already been answered moons ago but here goes. I have been brewing beer for well over 15 years now and have it perfected. In the USA there is a good chance in the near future a law will be passed much like the one for home brewed beer. I intend to be ready. Here is what I would like to know. What is the orrect temp to hold the kettle at while cooking off the mash? I have been told 172 degrees. This will insure non toxic (E type)spirits. At what temp does the toxic "M type" STOP being a problem in the condensor? Will it continue to cook off at the 172 mark? If so then how long should I allow this to "dump" before I start saving the good? Mash. With beer I culture my own yeast and reuse it for up too 5 batches. Can you use the dregs of a prior mash to start another? I would think this mash to be at "high krauesen". Ingredients. What is the more popular? Has anyone made schnapps? Finally. Does anyone have plans for a simple distillery? I am a commercial plumber and can make any part I need if I have a picture or description.

          I can be wrong I must say.
          Cheers, Alex...

          Do you Yahoo!?

        • Ackland, Tony (CALNZAS)
          Message 4 of 11 , Dec 11, 2002
            Klaus,

            For an introduction to distilling, see http://homedistiller.org You can download the site for easier, offline reading (see the Resources links). I'll try and point out pages that may answer your questions below ...

            > What is the correct temp to hold the kettle at while cooking off the
            > mash? I have been told 172 degrees. This will insure non toxic (E
            > type)spirits. At what temp does the toxic "M type" STOP being a
            > problem in the condensor? Will it continue to cook off at the 172
            > mark? If so then how long should I allow this to "dump" before I
            > start saving the good?

            See http://homedistiller.org/methanol.htm and http://homedistiller.org/dtw.htm
            At 172F / 77.7C theres nothing magic about this figure. The pot will boil depending on what % of alcohol is present in it. If you start with a mash at 10%, then it will first boil around 92C / 198F, and then as the alcohol is removed, this will inc up to 100C / 212F . Trying to hold it just at a quiet simmer at 172F will not alter the compoosition of the alcohol coming off, but rather just give you less of it. The more informative temperature is that at the top of the column, which if you have a reflux still, can be quite a lot purer (lower temperature), again depending on how much work your column has done. This can be altered either adjusting the amount of vapour you make, or the amount of reflux you generate, so as to keep the ratio of the two where best optimum. The technique instead for making sure you have avoided the "M" is to make sure that you segregate out the very first heads that come off, and make sure that you throw them away. Once they have been removed, you can keep collecting, right through until you get into the nasty tasting "tails", whereupon its time to stop. As a rule of thumb, with a pot still, throw away approx the first 100 mL you collect off a 25L wash, less if you are using a reflux still. This figure is a guideline only - let your nose guide you. The quantity of methanol, etc in the heads will depend on what sort of mash you have made - there is very little for sugar based washed, but quite a bit more if using fruit high in pectin (and grains somehwere between the two).

            Yes. See http://homedistiller.org/ferment.htm#reuse

            Depends what you're into. See http://homedistiller.org/wash-grain.htm http://homedistiller.org/wash-sugar.htm and http://homedistiller.org/wash-fruit.htm It depends on what you can easily get your hands on, if you have all the gear necessary for grain beers, etc.

            Jack - one of our regulars is a dab hand at it. See http://homedistiller.org/wash-sugar.htm and http://homedistiller.org/flavour.htm#schnapps

            > Finally. Does anyone have plans for a simple distillery? I am a
            > commercial plumber and can make any part I need if I have a picture
            > or description.

            See the photos pages, and http://homedistiller.org/designs.htm http://homedistiller.org/refluxdesign.htm and http://homedistiller.org/materials.htm

            Hope thats a useful start for you.
            Heres the place to ask questions,

            cheers

            Tony
          • StumpHoleWater
            Message 5 of 11 , Dec 23, 2005
              I'm in the process of building my Valved Reflux Still. Does anyone have any
              comments on the length of the Reflux Column? I'm going about 36 inches. Has
              anyone done any research on a longer or shorter length? Thank, and have a
              great holiday. Michael

            • jkirby007@aol.com
              Message 6 of 11 , Dec 23, 2005
                In a message dated 12/23/05 4:28:14 PM Central Standard Time,
                StumpHoleWater@... writes:

                > I'm in the process of building my Valved Reflux Still. Does anyone have
                > any
                > comments on the length of the Reflux Column? I'm going about 36 inches. Has
                > anyone done any research on a longer or shorter length? Thank, and have a
                > great holiday. Michael

                ive read that 42 inches is nominal but one as short as 26 inches would werk
                very well, the one im using is 42 inches and insulated w stainless steel pot
                scrubbers as packing, I havwe an off set nixon stone head and it provides
                nearly always a 96% purity
                hope thi hes jesse jkirby007@...

              • nameless
                Message 7 of 11 , Dec 23, 2005
                  I've just finished mine, 30cm column length and air cooled and
                  all cooper,based on riku's design spiral with column , with
                  a beautiful handhammered cooper pot.
                  makes good booze... and no hangover at all.
                  my old CM was of 80cm length and this 30cm one makes
                  so muche better and smoother booze.(i use no finning)
                  maybe because of low indirect heat,better wash ,cooper...

                  > > I'm in the process of building my Valved Reflux Still. Does
                  anyone have
                  > > any
                  > > comments on the length of the Reflux Column? I'm going about 36
                  inches. Has
                  > > anyone done any research on a longer or shorter length? Thank, and
                  have a
                  > > great holiday. Michael

                • dvman45
                  Message 8 of 11 , Dec 23, 2005
                    Hello and good luck on your new still. I have built mine with a 2"x
                    36" column with a 12" reflux condensor at the top.I use 12 stainless
                    steel scubbers and it seems to work very well,getting 95%abv on
                    average. Pictures are in the photo section under "tall double
                    shotgun"

                    --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "StumpHoleWater"
                    <StumpHoleWater@c...> wrote:

                    > I'm in the process of building my Valved Reflux Still. Does
                    anyone have any
                    > comments on the length of the Reflux Column? I'm going about 36
                    inches. Has
                    > anyone done any research on a longer or shorter length? Thank, and
                    have a
                    > great holiday. Michael

                  • Robert Thomas
                    Message 9 of 11 , Dec 23, 2005
                      95% on average? So, sometimes 80%, sometimes 110? (G)
                      cheers,
                      Rob.

                      --- dvman45 <dvman45@...> wrote:

                      > Hello and good luck on your new still. I have built mine with a 2"x
                      > 36" column with a 12" reflux condensor at the top.I use 12 stainless
                      > steel scubbers and it seems to work very well,getting 95%abv on
                      > average. Pictures are in the photo section under "tall double
                      > shotgun"
                      >
                      > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "StumpHoleWater"
                      > <StumpHoleWater@c...> wrote:
                      > >
                      > > I'm in the process of building my Valved Reflux Still. Does
                      > anyone have any
                      > > comments on the length of the Reflux Column? I'm going about 36
                      > inches. Has
                      > > anyone done any research on a longer or shorter length? Thank, and
                      > have a
                      > > great holiday. Michael

                      Cheers,
                      Rob.

                      Just $16.99/mo. or less.
                      dsl.yahoo.com
                    • morganfield1
                      Message 10 of 11 , Dec 24, 2005
                        Hi Stumpy,
                        36" is good, 40" would be better, but the difference would be
                        neglegable, particularly with a valved reflux.
                        Tip one, Morgan

                        ps. Everybody brags about the length of their column!;-)

                        <StumpHoleWater@c...> wrote:

                        > I'm in the process of building my Valved Reflux Still. Does anyone
                        have any
                        > comments on the length of the Reflux Column? I'm going about 36
                        inches. Has
                        > anyone done any research on a longer or shorter length? Thank, and
                        have a
                        > great holiday. Michael

                      • dvman45
                        Message 11 of 11 , Dec 24, 2005