RE: [Distillers] Uses for methanol

  • Ackland, Tony (CALNZAS)
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 12, 2000
      1) BBQ/fire lighter fluid
      2) slug killer
      3) cleaning windows
      4) maybe as a de-icer for those in cooler climates ?

      adroitpot ??
      adroit : adj : skillful in a physical or mental way; clever. - adroitly,
      adroitness

      Tony
    • Matt
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 12, 2000
        On Tue, Dec 12, 2000 at 11:53:33PM -0000, pdanker1@... wrote:
        > I know this is a bit adroitpot(spelling, I thought this was a real
        > word 'till I asked Webster for his help) for Tony and Pete but what
        > is a useful use, since we are producing it, is there for methanol?
        > Pete

        apropos? I was wondering the same thing, since Methanol is so toxic. But
        you do find it as a major component in hardware store for alcohol-burning
        lamps, etc.

        Matthew at psibercom spore@...
        Business, Numbers, People, Money
        Time, Travel, Communication, Entertainment
      • Pete Sayers
        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 13, 2000
          Hey Matt, yes there are a few uses for the Methanol. a friend just bought a
          reflux still, and is interested in making a fuel subsitute. He tried his
          lawn mower on the methanol, and found that it ran quite well, except that he
          had to have the choke full on. He will have to open up the carb jet a
          bit.Also some of my older clients are keeping the methanol from each brew,
          and combining it with a menthalatum mix from the Health Food shop, and
          rubbing it on their arthritic joints. The results apparently are quite good.
          The methanol can also be used for window cleaning, and a whole raft of odd
          uses.
          regards Pete from Brewers Barn

          Message 4 of 5 , Dec 13, 2000
            On Thu, Dec 14, 2000 at 09:53:49AM +1300, Pete Sayers wrote:
            > Hey Matt, yes there are a few uses for the Methanol. a friend just bought a
            > reflux still, and is interested in making a fuel subsitute. He tried his
            > lawn mower on the methanol, and found that it ran quite well, except that he
            > had to have the choke full on. He will have to open up the carb jet a
            > bit.Also some of my older clients are keeping the methanol from each brew,
            > and combining it with a menthalatum mix from the Health Food shop, and
            > rubbing it on their arthritic joints. The results apparently are quite good.
            > The methanol can also be used for window cleaning, and a whole raft of odd
            > uses.
            > regards Pete from Brewers Barn

            wow that must be some window cleaner! :) I forget that you also see it
            as used by the Paint industry for thinning, stripping, etc.