- Just wanting to know if anyone has malted wheat as opposed to malted
barley in a whiskey mash.I am under the impression that barley is far
superior but asking anyway?
- Andrew..... as far as I know, barley is the only cereal grain that has enough enzymes (once it has been malted) to convert the starches to fermentable sugars by "mashing". The addition of other grain(s) is a matter of taste, and several commercial beers are made from 100% wheat, and a couple are even made from all rice recipies, so as long as you break down the starches, anything will work.
On Sat, 09 Dec 2000 20:48:48
>Just wanting to know if anyone has malted wheat as opposed to malted barley in a whiskey mash.I am under the impression that barley is far superior but asking anyway?Get FREE Email/Voicemail with 15MB at Lycos Communications at http://comm.lycos.com
- How long will malt syrup keep in the can before it goes bad ?
- --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "diamondback1214"
>That's a very ambiguous question. What type of malt syrup? Hopped
> How long will malt syrup keep in the can before it goes bad ?
> diamondback6@... thanks
or unhopped? Has the can been opened & resealed? Is it under
refrigeration or not?
Ok, I'll get out the crystal ball <sigh>...
Canned in it's unopened state will last indefinitely, with or
without refrigeration. At least until the seal is broken by rust or
Once opened, other factors come into play. Unhopped is susceptible
to invasion from wild yeasts & other bacteria. Good resealing &
refrigeration will retard (not stop) this. 3-6 months under refrig
conditions, 1 week without. Freezing you can times that by 4.
Hopped will last approx. double this time under similar conditions,
but you wouldn't be using hopped for distilling purposes anyhow,
(puts away the crystal ball 'til next time) :-)
- I got a kit that is in the garage some where that is three years old. I saw it last month it looked OK. I have been given cans of malt by the brewshop owner that were swelled up when he got them. They were less than a year old .I dumped them in a pot and boiled them. I then made a Cean out the cabinet batch . It came off OK.The brewshop guy told me to watch for swelling and bad aroma when I opened the can. LIFE just isnt the same after you find out, YOU CANT FLY !
diamondback1214 <diamondback1214@...> wrote: How long will malt syrup keep in the can before it goes bad ?
Talk is cheap. Use Yahoo! Messenger to make PC-to-Phone calls. Great rates starting at 1¢/min.
[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]