Water purifiers

  • Tony & Elle Ackland
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 9, 2000
      OK, its illegal to import a Still into the US. But not a water purifier.
      (see http://www.geocities.com/kiwi_distiller/legal.htm#usa )

      But they're both the same thing. So how does it work - does it all come
      down to "intent", or does the fact that the equipment is capable of the
      illegal activity get you busted regardless ?

      I guess for the "intent to purify only water" would depend on the situation
      - if the BATF walk in and find you surrounded by lentils and carrot sticks,
      a stock pile of purified water, and maybe a selection of water minitures
      collected around the world (some of those single source Evian and Perriers
      ??) you might have a good case, however if your place has got a Confederacy
      flag hanging off the porch, a Harley parked in the hall, and a trail of
      empty Jim Beam or Jack Daniels bottles leading to a 40 gallon fermentor and
      a half filled 10 gallon oak cask of rotgut, then it could be different.

      I've recieved an anonymous tip on how to import a water purifier into the
      states
      (see http://www.geocities.com/kiwi_distiller/buying.htm#import ) which
      stresses the need to keep all the discussion & transaction around the fact
      that its a water purifier.

      Does anyone know from a legal stand-point how it is ??

      How about the same situation for Australia ??

      Tony
      (happily in New Zealand, but just curious)