How big is a drop?

    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 2, 2003
      In msg 14050 a commercial recipe for 100 litres of Absinthe was
      scaled down to 1 litre and quantities were given in drops of
      essential oils.
      The equivalency measurement was based on -
      20 drops = 1ml = 1/5 teaspoon
      100 drops = 5ml = 1 tsp.
      300 drops = 15ml = 1 tablespoon
      600 drops = 30ml = 1 fluid ounce
      1ml is approx. equivalent to 1 gram

      The angelica oil should have been a 1/2 drop which I thought was
      impractical but it can be done -
      http://yarchive.net/chem/drop_to_cc.html

      So strictly, the qty. for peppermint oil, hyssop oil, melissa oil
      should be 1 drop.
      For coriander oil, angelica oil the qty. should be 1/2 drop.
      In practice it is OK, as the qty is so small and the dominating
      flavors are from aniseed, fennel, wormwood.

      Looking at various recipes, leads me to think that the angelica and
      peppermint are optional, and could be substituted with say sweet flag
      and camomile for the added complexity.

      Wal
    • corn_wash
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 2, 2003