Re: Question to all, why aluminum shouls not be used as a fermenter

  • Mr. Brew Diggity Dog
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 2, 2003
      from what i've gathered, aluminum will pit in the long
      term. I was going to use a 30 QT aluminum pot, but i had the
      opportunity to pick up a plastic fermenting bucket (for beer) for six
      bucks. The best explanation I've found so far:

      Key Phrase: promote conditions that locally
      degrade the protective oxide film and minimize the availability of
      oxygen to rebuild it.

      http://www.navalmaterials.com/MatSelect/corraluminalloys.htm

      "The corrosion resistance of aluminum is dependent upon a protective
      oxide film. This film is stable in aqueous media when the pH is
      between about 4.0 and 8.5. The oxide film is naturally self-renewing
      and accidental abrasion or other mechanical damage of the surface
      film is rapidly repaired. The conditions that promote corrosion of
      aluminum and its alloys, therefore, must be those that continuously
      abrade the film mechanically or promote conditions that locally
      degrade the protective oxide film and minimize the availability of
      oxygen to rebuild it.

      The acidity or alkalinity of the environment significantly affects
      the corrosion behavior of aluminum alloys. At lower and higher pH,
      aluminum is more likely to corrode but by no means always does so.
      For example, aluminum is quite resistant to concentrated nitric acid.
      When aluminum is exposed to alkaline conditions, corrosion may occur
      and when the oxide film is perforated locally, accelerated attack
      occurs because aluminum is attacked more rapidly than its oxide under
      alkaline conditions. The result is pitting. In acidic conditions, the
      oxide is more rapidly attacked than aluminum, and more general attack
      should result."

      --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "corn_wash" <corn_wash@y...> wrote:
      > if anynone has a good anwser please reply
    • rodmacd2000
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 22, 2003
        It's common knowledge that one should never use a "shoul" as a
        fermentation vessel.

        --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "corn_wash" <corn_wash@y...> wrote:
        > if anynone has a good anwser please reply
      • Murphy-Marsh, Leigh
        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 22, 2003
          I thought a 'shoul' was a gathering of fish?
          Seriously though, what do call a shoul? I must've missed the conversation.
          Leigh.