Re: Question to all, why aluminum shouls not be used as a fermenter

  • mwmccaw
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 2, 2003
      Because the acids produced during fermentation will chew their way
      through the aluminum in pretty short order.
      Because it is very reactive to acids, Aluminum is NOT recommended
      for contact with ANY acidic foods - wine, tomatoes, lemon juice, etc.
      Mike McCaw

      --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "corn_wash" <corn_wash@y...>
      wrote:
      > if anynone has a good anwser please reply
    • Mr. Brew Diggity Dog
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 2, 2003
        from what i've gathered, aluminum will pit in the long
        term. I was going to use a 30 QT aluminum pot, but i had the
        opportunity to pick up a plastic fermenting bucket (for beer) for six
        bucks. The best explanation I've found so far:

        Key Phrase: promote conditions that locally
        degrade the protective oxide film and minimize the availability of
        oxygen to rebuild it.

        http://www.navalmaterials.com/MatSelect/corraluminalloys.htm

        "The corrosion resistance of aluminum is dependent upon a protective
        oxide film. This film is stable in aqueous media when the pH is
        between about 4.0 and 8.5. The oxide film is naturally self-renewing
        and accidental abrasion or other mechanical damage of the surface
        film is rapidly repaired. The conditions that promote corrosion of
        aluminum and its alloys, therefore, must be those that continuously
        abrade the film mechanically or promote conditions that locally
        degrade the protective oxide film and minimize the availability of
        oxygen to rebuild it.

        The acidity or alkalinity of the environment significantly affects
        the corrosion behavior of aluminum alloys. At lower and higher pH,
        aluminum is more likely to corrode but by no means always does so.
        For example, aluminum is quite resistant to concentrated nitric acid.
        When aluminum is exposed to alkaline conditions, corrosion may occur
        and when the oxide film is perforated locally, accelerated attack
        occurs because aluminum is attacked more rapidly than its oxide under
        alkaline conditions. The result is pitting. In acidic conditions, the
        oxide is more rapidly attacked than aluminum, and more general attack
        should result."

        --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "corn_wash" <corn_wash@y...> wrote:
        > if anynone has a good anwser please reply
      • rodmacd2000
        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 22, 2003
          It's common knowledge that one should never use a "shoul" as a
          fermentation vessel.

          --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "corn_wash" <corn_wash@y...> wrote:
          > if anynone has a good anwser please reply
        • Murphy-Marsh, Leigh
          Message 4 of 5 , Sep 22, 2003
            I thought a 'shoul' was a gathering of fish?
            Seriously though, what do call a shoul? I must've missed the conversation.
            Leigh.