Blindness and its causes

  • MIchael Purcell
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 7, 2000
      Hey Everyone;

      I have heard somewhere in the past that making large quantities of
      "shine" was a quite acceptable thing to do here in maritime Canada. :-
      )

      It has also been passed down that making large quanitites took a long
      time to ferment, I guess the yeasts weren't that great back when.

      My Dad used to tell me of an old codger trick. I guess the
      moonshiners didn't want to wait up to 30 days for a good fermentation
      so they discovered that a little bit of lye soap seemed to speed up
      the process by a little, a little more sped it up a little lot more,
      a bit more and it was even faster, and a bit more made everyone go
      blind!

      Wow! I guess that problem is long gone as our yeasts today are so
      fast acting that adding lye to speed up the proces would only be
      stupid!

      Guys and Gals, that little storey was just folklore passed downa dn
      am not sure if it has a basis in reality or not, however, I have
      always steered clear just in case!

      Mike

      Mike Purcell
      MPurcell@...