Question to all, why aluminum shouls not be used as a fermenter

  • corn_wash
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 2 1:20 AM
      if anynone has a good anwser please reply
    • mwmccaw
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 2 6:32 AM
        Because the acids produced during fermentation will chew their way
        through the aluminum in pretty short order.
        Because it is very reactive to acids, Aluminum is NOT recommended
        for contact with ANY acidic foods - wine, tomatoes, lemon juice, etc.
        Mike McCaw

        --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "corn_wash" <corn_wash@y...>
        wrote:
        > if anynone has a good anwser please reply
      • Mr. Brew Diggity Dog
        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 2 6:46 AM
          from what i've gathered, aluminum will pit in the long
          term. I was going to use a 30 QT aluminum pot, but i had the
          opportunity to pick up a plastic fermenting bucket (for beer) for six
          bucks. The best explanation I've found so far:

          Key Phrase: promote conditions that locally
          degrade the protective oxide film and minimize the availability of
          oxygen to rebuild it.

          http://www.navalmaterials.com/MatSelect/corraluminalloys.htm

          "The corrosion resistance of aluminum is dependent upon a protective
          oxide film. This film is stable in aqueous media when the pH is
          between about 4.0 and 8.5. The oxide film is naturally self-renewing
          and accidental abrasion or other mechanical damage of the surface
          film is rapidly repaired. The conditions that promote corrosion of
          aluminum and its alloys, therefore, must be those that continuously
          abrade the film mechanically or promote conditions that locally
          degrade the protective oxide film and minimize the availability of
          oxygen to rebuild it.

          The acidity or alkalinity of the environment significantly affects
          the corrosion behavior of aluminum alloys. At lower and higher pH,
          aluminum is more likely to corrode but by no means always does so.
          For example, aluminum is quite resistant to concentrated nitric acid.
          When aluminum is exposed to alkaline conditions, corrosion may occur
          and when the oxide film is perforated locally, accelerated attack
          occurs because aluminum is attacked more rapidly than its oxide under
          alkaline conditions. The result is pitting. In acidic conditions, the
          oxide is more rapidly attacked than aluminum, and more general attack
          should result."

          --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "corn_wash" <corn_wash@y...> wrote:
          > if anynone has a good anwser please reply
        • rodmacd2000
          Message 4 of 5 , Sep 22 12:41 PM
            It's common knowledge that one should never use a "shoul" as a
            fermentation vessel.

            --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "corn_wash" <corn_wash@y...> wrote:
            > if anynone has a good anwser please reply
          • Murphy-Marsh, Leigh
            Message 5 of 5 , Sep 22 1:26 PM
              I thought a 'shoul' was a gathering of fish?
              Seriously though, what do call a shoul? I must've missed the conversation.
              Leigh.