Visitation Water?

    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 1, 2003
      In a now defunct French site, there was a recipe for an 'Eau de la
      cote des Visitandines' which probably is a transliteration error
      and 'cote' (coast, bank) should be 'cloitre' (cloister). The
      French 'Visitandines' are the 'Sisters of the Visitation' or
      the 'Order of the Visitation of St. Mary', but I have not come across
      any other reference to a liqueur made by them, although there is a
      French almond meal cake called 'Gateau des Visitandines'. As the
      liqueur is based on redistillation, I thought it interesting to show
      flavoring possibilities of spices, nuts and fruit. I have scaled it
      to 1 litre:

      Visitation Water ('Eau de la cloitre des Visitandines')
      1 litre neutral alcohol (45%bv)
      12.5g cinnamon
      Zest of 1/4 citron (aromatic citrus sp., replacement - 1 lemon)
      12.5g dates
      12.5g dried figs
      6.2g bitter almonds (or apricot kernels)
      1.6g nutmeg

      Macerate for 2 weeks and then redistill. Dilute to 30%abv.

      Wal
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 1, 2003