Re: [Distillers] Re: Absinthe

  • tipringwaterpipe
    Message 1 of 41 , Sep 1, 2003
      Sage is not a common plant in Canada???? I think your looking in all the wrong places. I have a large plant on my patio in a pot. It thrives everywhere, it's like mint, rhubarb, dill, dadilion, clover, morning glory or bamboo......once you have it you can't get rid of it. Well you can actually. I'm been known as the "Liquid Lager" You can take down the biggest tree or the smallest plant with concentrated 'Round-Up' applied when the subject is at it's fastest growing rate. ( PS, don't tell my neighbour) :-)

      Down-the-Hatch
      Tip

      maxime_belair <maxime_belair@...> wrote:
      Hmmm... very interesting, I know i can buy dried sage, I think it is sold as a spice. But
      artemisia absinthium and pontica are probably impossible to find dried as they have
      no other puposes than making good absinthe.  I've look around to buy the whole
      plants, but as the season is finished here in Canada they're not selling it anymore and
      probably they had never sold it even in spring cause these are not very common
      plants here.

      Also to make real absinthe, hyssop, lemon balm(which are probably also hard to find)
      fennel seeds and anis seeds which can be bought in any supermarket are needed.

      Anyone here had experiences with making, drinking absinthe?
      Where did you find the herbs?

      I think it is not more dangerous to drink absinthe than alcohol, maybe I'm wrong.

      Cheers!
                       Max B.

      ===============

      > Sage has more thujone than wormwood - 15-35%. A recent study at
      > University of Northumbria in Newcastle upon Tyne (UK) has shown that
      > sage helps memory and could benefit those suffering from Alzheimer's
      > disease.
      > ('The Times')
      > Early absinthe contained 250mg/kg. The present legal level in the new
      > Pernod Absinthe is 10mg/kg.
      > Oh, I forgot!
      > See
      > http://www.cachacacoral.com.br/ingles/thujone.htm
      > for a picture of Artemisia absinthium.
      >
      > Wal
      >
      > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "sallypointer" <sallypointer@y...>
      > wrote:
      > > Accepting that its none too good for you over time, its interesting
      > > to look at just how long a type of Absinthe has been in production,
      > > I've got a recipe written down by the Greek doctor Dioscorides in the
      > > first century which is effectively absinthe, though preparation
      > > methods were a bit different then, and I know others here have done
      > > some research into slightly later recipes. I would imagine that those
      > > wanting to try distilling their own absinthe would do well to look at
      > > as many different recipes as possible and compare the quantities with
      > > the available data on toxicity before trying it. It is a lovely drink
      > > though, wish I had the time to have a go myself.
      > > Sally

      Do you Yahoo!?

    • Jack o' the Green
      Message 41 of 41 , Dec 12, 2007

        The louche is good, but I usually cheat by putting in straight ice cubes and letting them melt a bit before

        drinking. I’m never patient enough to chill water first ;)