Re: Absinthe

  • the1foy
    Message 1 of 41 , Sep 1, 2003
      I feel that I should point out here that there is quite a bit of
      debate as to whether thujone is actually the "active" ingredient in
      Absinthe. Rather, it's the combined effect of all the herbs plus the
      alcohol. So called "strong" absinthe brands that boast extremely
      high thujone content seem to universaly suck, and if you can get it
      down, provide no extra buzz. You should probably buy a decent
      commercial brand before making any so you'll know what you're after.

      --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, maxime belair <maxime_belair@y...>
      wrote:
      > Ok, but if I understand well sage contains 15-35%
      > thujone and artemisia absinthium only contains 1%
      > thujone.
      >
      > Following the recipe (1tbsp of wormwood per litre of
      > wine) I should reduce this quantity using sage. If I
      > don't it is going to be to strong in thujone I guess.
      > What do you think about it?
      >
      > Personnally I would use 40% alcohol instead of wine
      > and soak for 12 hours just to experiment before I
      > build my still.
      >
      > Thanks,
      >
      > Max B.

      > Lèche-vitrine ou lèche-écran ?
      > magasinage.yahoo.ca
    • Jack o' the Green
      Message 41 of 41 , Dec 12, 2007

        The louche is good, but I usually cheat by putting in straight ice cubes and letting them melt a bit before

        drinking. I’m never patient enough to chill water first ;)