Re: Double Element control

  • mwmccaw
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 1, 2003
      Shane, there are plans for exactly that form of control in "The
      Compleat Distiller" You can implement the method either with plugs
      and sockets or with switches.
      Cheers,
      Mike McCaw

      --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Shane Kirkman"
      <shanekirkman@y...> wrote:
      > How,s this for controlling a double element still, that has plugin
      sockets
      > or cords, 240v. Say a 1.5k & a 1.7k for example.
      > 1: For heat up and fast stripping runs, have both elements plugged
      in and
      > on(separate wall supplies).3.2k
      > 2: For stripping or high heat runs, have one of the elements
      turned on. 1.5k
      > or 1.7k.
      > 3:For low heat runs 797w, have a double socket and power cord,
      rewired to
      > serial instead of parallel. Example: Take a duel wall socket, wire
      some
      > 3core flex in series instead of parallel, standard wall plug other
      end. Plug
      > in both elements-plug in wall plug = 797. Yes? No?
      > Wall socket housed in a safe box of course. Or if you can find the
      right
      > duel socket/cord just a matter of rewirering it.
      >
      > Only learning electronics so don't be too hard on me if I am wrong
    • Shane Kirkman
      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 1, 2003
        So I do get it right sometimes :)

        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 1, 2003
          Sorry I cant use the electronic drawing programs I have.
          I will see what i can do with photocopy.
          Ps MikeM said it was already in "The Compeat Distiller".

          > Please drop the scheme of this control in the newsgroup!

        • Mike Nixon
          Message 4 of 6 , Sep 1, 2003
            Shane Kirkman wrote:
            Subject: [Distillers] Double Element control

            How,s this for controlling a double element still, that has plugin sockets or cords, 240v. Say a 1.5k & a 1.7k for example.
            1: For heat up and fast stripping runs, have both elements plugged in and on(separate wall supplies).3.2k
            2: For stripping or high heat runs, have one of the elements turned on. 1.5k or 1.7k.
            3:For low heat runs 797w, have a double socket and power cord, rewired to serial instead of parallel.
            Example: Take a duel wall socket, wire some 3core flex in series instead of parallel, standard wall plug other end. Plug
            in both elements-plug in wall plug = 797. Yes? No?
            Wall socket housed in a safe box of course. Or if you can find the right duel socket/cord just a matter of rewirering it.
            Shane,

            I posted a reply to you on New Distillers (message #7952 dated 25 May 2003) with a diagram for this, called "Shane-g".
            I have posted it again, this time on Distillers in the Photo section, under the name "Switch Controller"

            Mike N