Re: Absinthe

    Message 1 of 41 , Aug 31, 2003
      You should be able to mail order in North America if you do not have
      a store specializing in herbs. Often health food stores have herbal
      remedies also.
      Common wormwood should grow in Canada - it grows in the Chornobyl
      (wormwood in Ukrainian) area of Ukraine. 'A.pontica' is native to the
      Mediterranean area. Wormwood is very bitter, so if you want a thujone
      buzz try sage. One French recipe is one handful (= 1 tbsp) of
      wormwood (Eng)/wermut (German)for 1 litre of wine - giving a
      basic 'vermouth' (from wermut).

      One source of herbs is -
      http://www.herbnet.com

      For herbal information try -
      http://www.swsbm.com/HOMEPAGE/HomePage.html

      Wal

      --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "maxime_belair"
      <maxime_belair@y...> wrote:
      > Hmmm... very interesting, I know i can buy dried sage, I think it
      is sold as a spice. But
      > artemisia absinthium and pontica are probably impossible to find
      dried as they have
      > no other puposes than making good absinthe. I've look around to
      buy the whole
      > plants, but as the season is finished here in Canada they're not
      selling it anymore and
      > probably they had never sold it even in spring cause these are not
      very common
      > plants here.
      >
      > Also to make real absinthe, hyssop, lemon balm(which are probably
      also hard to find)
      > fennel seeds and anis seeds which can be bought in any supermarket
      are needed.

      > Anyone here had experiences with making, drinking absinthe?
      > Where did you find the herbs?
      >
      > I think it is not more dangerous to drink absinthe than alcohol,
      maybe I'm wrong.

      > Cheers!
      > Max B.
      >
      > ===============
      >
      > > Sage has more thujone than wormwood - 15-35%. A recent study at
      > > University of Northumbria in Newcastle upon Tyne (UK) has shown
      that
      > > sage helps memory and could benefit those suffering from
      Alzheimer's

      <sallypointer@y...>
      > > wrote:
      > > > Accepting that its none too good for you over time, its
      interesting
      > > > to look at just how long a type of Absinthe has been in
      production,
      > > > I've got a recipe written down by the Greek doctor Dioscorides
      in the
      > > > first century which is effectively absinthe, though preparation
      > > > methods were a bit different then, and I know others here have
      done
      > > > some research into slightly later recipes. I would imagine that
      those
      > > > wanting to try distilling their own absinthe would do well to
      look at
      > > > as many different recipes as possible and compare the
      quantities with
      > > > the available data on toxicity before trying it. It is a lovely
      drink
      > > > though, wish I had the time to have a go myself.
      > > > Sally
    • Jack o' the Green
      Message 41 of 41 , Dec 12, 2007

        The louche is good, but I usually cheat by putting in straight ice cubes and letting them melt a bit before

        drinking. I’m never patient enough to chill water first ;)