What is cracked corn?

  • BillyWeeble@cs.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 29, 2003
      In a message dated 8/26/03 11:16:43 PM Pacific Daylight Time, dbb@...
      writes:

      << Dumb question: What is cracked corn? >>

      Cracked corn is whole corn that is dried as hard as stone and run between
      rollers to become small gravel. We used to soak steam rolled whole corn in
      hot water for twelve hours before feeding to the pigs - that would triple the
      volumn and increase digestibility. One time the feed store gave us cracked
      corn by accident and I don't think that stuff ever got soft, even days later.
      Had to feed it to the chickens. That's what it's used for. Chicken feed.
      Steam rolled whole corn probably won't sprout but it sure absorbs water
      well and gets soft in no time. There is no way cracked corn can sprout - it's
      in too many little pieces.