Re: [Distillers] Chemicals used in sugar refining

  • Hector A. Landaeta C.
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 29, 2003
      Re: [Distillers] Chemicals used in sugar refining On 8/27/03 9:00 AM, "waljaco" <waljaco@...> wrote:

      Sulphured molasses would effect flavor but I do not know if the other
      chemicals used would. Maybe our Venezuelan Brewer/Rum Distiller can
      help?

      Certainly my friend.  The guys I know of here, who operate the second largest sugar mill in Venezuela, do a 3 stage purification: first two are semi-physical methods, flotation with plain water from with they obtain a separation by means of a higher weight of plain dirt and other heavy impurities, then this “low honey” (as they term it) is boiled with a high pH solution of water + lye where they obtain some water separation by evaporation and and unknown to my tourer’s chemical reaction also (both times I’ve been shown arround it was by mechanical, not chem-engineers).  From there they obtain a so called “high honey” which is simply boiled to crystallization (thus obtaining brown sugar).  This is re-dissolved in water and firstly mixed with a gelatin based product which when aerated again “floats” most of the impurities in a thick foam, this “final honey” is then passed through a ionic separator (sugar impurities are either electro-positive or negatively charged –cant remember-), and then mixed with a low pH hydrogen peroxide solution which does the final blanching.  I cant remember how they separated most of the peroxide from the final “honey” but there was a way, and then they simply boiled to re-crystallize and there you have it.  Just 3 very inoffensive synthetic chemical products: lye, gelatin and peroxide.  I think the bogeyman slant naturists give to sugar refining and the chemicals used in it is a product of ignorance and exaggeration.  The only time I got a brief talk out of a chemical tech guy at the sugar mill I asked about the noxious chemicals he told me that was old ladies talk (perhaps the “company” line at that) and told me the gelatin was fit to eat and that there’s a lot of foodstuffs less maligned than white sugar that have a higher concentration of added lye (like brown sugar, for instance), and peroxide.  He told me the most effective purification methods they employ are physical, not chemical.  What do you guys think?
      Salud amigos!
      --
      Hector Landaeta.
      Colonia Tovar - Venezuela.

      P.S:  never mentioned ANYTHING about sulfured compounds.