Re: Notes on Single Reducer first run

  • Boot
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 28, 2003
      > May I pull you up at this point please? Alcohol (ethanol) is NOT easier
      > to condense because of its lower heat of vaporization. A vapor mix
      > behaves as one unit with a boiling point (hence condensation point)
      > determined by the composition. You can work out the heat given up in
      > condensing by calculating the relative quantities of ethanol at 204
      > cal.gm and water at 540 cal/gm, but they BOTH condense together, not one
      > in preference to the other.

      Fair enough Mike. I hesitate to get into a discussion a few minutes before
      taking off for a distillate-assisted camping weekend, but I was trying to
      suggest in a shorthand sort of way that once he had some alcohol in the
      equation, the condenser's work would be reduced proportionally.

      At the same time, though, my limited experience and common sense tells me
      that the lower the boiling point of the liquid, the harder it is to coerce
      into condensing. I've noticed that I seem to get some trace (and very
      fragrant) volatiles wafting off my boiler at anywhere from 20 deg C
      upwards. These, with their boiling points so close to the temperature of
      the cooling water, seem unimpressed by it and often continue on their merry
      way out the vent hole. So if the same principle applies to ethanol it might
      partially cancel out any theoretical advantage conferred by its lower heat
      of evaporation. In other words, cooling water at 20C can only offer ethanol
      58 degrees worth of incentive to condense, whereas it can offer water 80
      degrees. In other words, it can do more [negative] work on the water.

      Is this vaguely sensible?

      My apologies for delayed replies.

      Boot