Agave Cactus

  • Robert Elliott
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 5, 2000
      Hi all,

      Excuse my ignorance, but I thought that the word "agave" related to a grub or worm that spun a cacoon (silkworm, the worm inside a bottle of tequila are examples of agave worms).

      Does this word actually pertain to a cactus?

      Bob.
    • tarvus
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 6, 2000
        Tequila is distilled from the fermented juice of the heart of the
        Weber Blue Agave. This is not a cactus, but a plant similar in
        nature to a cactus.

        Contrary to popular legend, Tequila has no worm in the bottle. The
        worm is a marketing gimmick found in bottles of Mescal (a liquor much
        harsher than a 100% Agave tequila).