New Member

  • hillbillyman50@hotmail.com
    Message 1 of 23 , Dec 6, 2000
      Hello

      I'm new in the group but not new to reading the posted messages. I'm
      looking forward to some of the new ideas in home distilling. I have
      done a lot of read of the old posted messages and i have made a new
      all ss reflux still and it is producing 90% etholol. I would have put
      in a picture if i know how.

      Happy Distilling

      Hillbilly Man
    • Kevin
      Message 2 of 23 , May 29, 2005
        Hey everyone!
        I'm very excited to recieve my still. I just ordered the reflux still from Brewhaus. I tried the
        evaporation still a couple years ago, but the weather was too warm, so I got bad results. I
        finally decided to do things the right way. It's amazing to see over 2,000 members in this
        group. Does anyone know what we can do to change legislation in the US to alow home
        distillation? It's rediculous that's it's not legal. Does anyone know of any instances in the
        US were the law was actually enforced? or is it just an old law prohibition that they don't
        care about so uch anymore? Anyway, I'm glad o be a new member!
      • Roderick Holmes
        Message 3 of 23 , May 30, 2005
          Kevin,
          There is a movement to legalize distilling in the USA but I do not think it is doing so well. Too much opposition to it.

          1. Feds make $9 per gallon taxes on hard liquor. Hence the lawmakers in general are against it.

          2. The religious right does not want it to happen. Same mentality that started prohibition in the 1920's.

          3. It is dangerous if you are not careful. As we know, it only takes a few fires or explosions before the government feels they need to "protect" the mentally challenged with their laws.

          4. You can get a permit to distill in the USA but you need a separate building with fire supression and a ton of insurance. You also have to keep records and be open to inspection from the ATF (alcohol, tobacco, and firearms) at any time. With all the costs, it is cheaper to buy the good stuff from the store.

          I saw a special on the public television station (PBS) on distilling. Seems the ATF are still going after illegal distillers but are targeting mostly the guys making a business out of it. Mostly big time distillers in the south. They interviewed several guys, all of them had been arrested at one time or another and had served 5 years or more in jail.

          Here is the important part to remember: The ATF is not so concerned about us little guys distilling for personal consumption. But.... If the little old lady at the church gets wind that you are a moonshiner, she may make a phone call and turn you in thinking she is saving your troubled soul. The ATF is obligated to investigate you if this happens. The other thing, is be very selective of your "friends" you tell about your hobby. All it takes if for you to piss off one of them, and your buddy may make that phone call to get even. Limit your exposure only to close family and friends you can really trust. Also make an effort to supress the lovely smell of fermentation and be wary of your neighbors. You may live within eye or nose shot of that little old church lady. If nothing else, she may think with your equipment you are running a meth lab in your house or yard.

          None of us look good in stripes.

          warm regards on ice,
          Roderick

          Kevin <kevin@...> wrote:
          Hey everyone!
          I'm very excited to recieve my still. I just ordered the reflux still from Brewhaus. I tried the
          evaporation still a couple years ago, but the weather was too warm, so I got bad results. I
          finally decided to do things the right way. It's amazing to see over 2,000 members in this
          group. Does anyone know what we can do to change legislation in the US to alow home
          distillation? It's rediculous that's it's not legal. Does anyone know of any instances in the
          US were the law was actually enforced? or is it just an old law prohibition that they don't
          care about so uch anymore? Anyway, I'm glad o be a new member!

        • Edward Dotson
          Message 4 of 23 , May 30, 2005
            I have no real idea, but I want to believe that the ATF (revenooors)
            have got bigger fish to fry. What with the war or terror and all that.
            If you set up a large operation and sell the stuff, you will attract
            attention. At best what we get up to is nickel and dime stuff for the Feds.

            Ed

            Message 5 of 23 , May 30, 2005
              --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, Roderick Holmes
              <pure95percent@y...> wrote:
              <snip>

              You may live within eye or nose shot of that little old church lady.
              If nothing else, she may think with your equipment you are running a
              meth lab in your house or yard.

              You could always try sharing your ermm...'equipment' with her. :-)
              She may think it's the last good "@#$%^&" she's likely to get!

            • jehan.yves
              Message 6 of 23 , May 30, 2005
                At 11:31 AM 5/30/2005, you wrote:
                >Kevin,
                >There is a movement to legalize distilling in the USA but I do not think
                >it is doing so well. Too much opposition to it.

                There is a copy of a petition in the files section of this list. Use it as
                is, or modify it to your liking, get signatures and send it in.

                >Here is the important part to remember: The ATF is not so concerned about
                >us little guys distilling for personal consumption. But.... If the little
                >old lady at the church gets wind that you are a moonshiner, she may make a
                >phone call and turn you in thinking she is saving your troubled soul. The
                >ATF is obligated to investigate you if this happens.

                It's no longer the ATF that you need be concerned with. They are now a part
                of Homeland Security, and truly are more concerned with terrorist
                activities. After 9-11 a new unit was created, The Alcohol and Tobaco, Tax
                and Trade Bureau. They are now a more specialized group since they don't
                have to deal with Firearms and explosives.
                James May

                >warm regards on ice,
                >Roderick
                >
                >Kevin <kevin@...> wrote:
                >Hey everyone!
                >I'm very excited to recieve my still. I just ordered the reflux still from
                >Brewhaus. I tried the
                >evaporation still a couple years ago, but the weather was too warm, so I
                >got bad results. I
                >finally decided to do things the right way. It's amazing to see over
                >2,000 members in this
                >group. Does anyone know what we can do to change legislation in the US to
                >alow home
                >distillation? It's rediculous that's it's not legal. Does anyone know
                >of any instances in the
                >US were the law was actually enforced? or is it just an old law
                >prohibition that they don't
                >care about so uch anymore? Anyway, I'm glad o be a new member!

              • W. D. Heimer
                Message 7 of 23 , May 30, 2005
                  Kevin,

                  You can also cover up your distilling activites if you also make wine and/or beer. Most folks just assume that they are all the same process.

                  Dave H.
                  Message 8 of 23 , May 30, 2005
                    A rather bright friend of mine suggested that I pay some tax money with an estimated income tax voucher. Say $9 every quarter (good for a gallon, who is to say the quantity you drink or make?) . This way, even though you don't have the permit, you will less likely be charged with tax evasion since you have paid your taxes. This way if you get busted perhaps a right thinking judge will let you go since the criminal intent of evading taxes was not present.

                    Not a bad idea.....

                    Expert opinions out there??? Or will this small payment just raise a flag??

                    Warm regards on ice,
                    Roderick

                    Harry <gnikomson2000@...> wrote:
                    --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, Roderick Holmes
                    <pure95percent@y...> wrote:
                    <snip>

                    You may live within eye or nose shot of that little old church lady.
                    If nothing else, she may think with your equipment you are running a
                    meth lab in your house or yard.

                    You could always try sharing your ermm...'equipment' with her. :-)
                    She may think it's the last good "@#$%^&" she's likely to get!

                  • McElroy, Kevin
                    Message 9 of 23 , May 30, 2005
                      How much money are you making from your hobby distillation? I'm guessing nothing.

                      The idea behind prosecuting people for tax evasion instead of illegal distillation is that it's really hard to prove that you use your still illegally. Unlike illegal drug possession, it's not illegal to have liquor, or a still or the ingredients to make liquor.

                      The feds basically have to catch you in the act. They can however prove quite easily that you had a stream of income that was unreported.

                      So unless you are making money off of this still, it wouldn't really benefit you to start giving the government more of your money.

                      Harry <gnikomson2000@...> wrote:
                      --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, Roderick Holmes
                      <pure95percent@y...> wrote:
                      <snip>

                      You may live within eye or nose shot of that little old church lady.
                      If nothing else, she may think with your equipment you are running a
                      meth lab in your house or yard.

                      You could always try sharing your ermm...'equipment' with her. :-)
                      She may think it's the last good "@#$%^&" she's likely to get!

                      _____

                      Yahoo! Groups Links

                    • don1lia2joe3
                      Message 10 of 23 , May 31, 2005
                        I have legal Federal and State permits

                        I pay no taxes because the permits are for fuel alcohol (they do not
                        know what you will use it for, as far as they are concerned it is
                        for fuel).

                        I have to keep some kind of records to send in every year ($.37) and
                        I pay the State $25 year for their alcohol permit which is like a
                        tax but it keeps the law inforcement authorities from taking my
                        alcohol in case someone (like a mad neighbor) turns me in for
                        running a still.

                        I have never been inspected or visited by either Federal or local
                        authorities.

                        By the way you no longer have to denature your alcohol if you are
                        using it in your own vehicles!

                        But then again I am making my alcohol to burn in my cars and trucks.

                        Message 11 of 23 , May 31, 2005
                          I just tell folks I homebrew and nothing more is ever said. I would
                          never consider sending the fed more of my money. If you sell your moon,
                          a judge will send you to prison.

                          McElroy, Kevin wrote:

                          > How much money are you making from your hobby distillation? I'm
                          > guessing nothing.
                          >
                          > The idea behind prosecuting people for tax evasion instead of illegal
                          > distillation is that it's really hard to prove that you use your still
                          > illegally. Unlike illegal drug possession, it's not illegal to have
                          > liquor, or a still or the ingredients to make liquor.
                          >
                          > The feds basically have to catch you in the act. They can however
                          > prove quite easily that you had a stream of income that was unreported.
                          >
                          > So unless you are making money off of this still, it wouldn't really
                          > benefit you to start giving the government more of your money.

                        • popwahtosh
                          Message 12 of 23 , May 31, 2005
                            --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "don1lia2joe3"
                            <donaldfranson@h...> wrote:

                            > I have legal Federal and State permits
                            >
                            > I pay no taxes because the permits are for fuel alcohol (they do
                            not
                            > know what you will use it for, as far as they are concerned it is
                            > for fuel).
                            >
                            > I have to keep some kind of records to send in every year ($.37)
                            and
                            > I pay the State $25 year for their alcohol permit which is like a
                            > tax but it keeps the law inforcement authorities from taking my
                            > alcohol in case someone (like a mad neighbor) turns me in for
                            > running a still.
                            >
                            > I have never been inspected or visited by either Federal or local
                            > authorities.
                            =======================

                            What state are you in. California doesn't charge me anything
                            =====================================

                            Message 13 of 23 , Jun 1, 2005
                              --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "popwahtosh" <popwahtosh@y...>
                              wrote:
                              > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "don1lia2joe3"
                              > <donaldfranson@h...> wrote:
                              > >
                              > > I have legal Federal and State permits
                              > >
                              > > I pay no taxes because the permits are for fuel alcohol (they do
                              > not
                              > > know what you will use it for, as far as they are concerned it
                              is
                              > > for fuel).
                              > >
                              > > I have to keep some kind of records to send in every year ($.37)
                              > and
                              > > I pay the State $25 year for their alcohol permit which is like
                              > > tax but it keeps the law inforcement authorities from taking my
                              > > alcohol in case someone (like a mad neighbor) turns me in for
                              > > running a still.
                              > >
                              > > I have never been inspected or visited by either Federal or
                              local
                              > > authorities.
                              > =======================
                              >
                              > What state are you in. California doesn't charge me anything
                              > =====================================

                              I live in Oklahoma Pop, Still a little backwoods here but the ground
                              doesn't shake!
                            • Ensenada Tom
                              Message 14 of 23 , Sep 27, 2007
                                Hello Everyone.

                                I'm a new member here and I am really enjoying reading all the posts. I hope I can contribute soon too! Is there anyone besides me in Baja California?

                                Ensenada Tom

                                Make Money From Your Hobby - LEARN HOW HERE

                              • jamesonbeam1
                                Message 15 of 23 , Sep 29, 2007
                                  Hey Ensenada, (or is it Tom?) Welcome aboard - hope you find this
                                  forum interesting - I know its one of the best I've seen. Hope you
                                  also joined New Distillers - our sister site.
                                  Just remember to cross your Ts and dot your Is - some of our group
                                  are sorta picky lol.
                                  Have Fun.

                                  Vino Es Veritas,
                                  Jim

                                  --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, Ensenada Tom <ensenada_hobby@...>
                                  wrote:

                                  > Hello Everyone.
                                  >
                                  > I'm a new member here and I am really enjoying reading all the
                                  posts. I hope I can contribute soon too! Is there anyone besides me
                                  in Baja California?

                                  > Ensenada Tom
                                  >

                                  > Make Money From Your Hobby - LEARN HOW HERE
                                  >
                                  > ---------------------------------
                                  web links.

                                • jamesonbeam1
                                  Message 16 of 23 , Sep 29, 2007
                                    Welp Tom, Guess you know now I aint from Baja Cal. Answered my own
                                    question - had to find out the hard way -= Ensenada is the Third
                                    largest city in Mexico's Baja. See - learn something new here
                                    everyday... ;-)

                                    wrote:

                                    > Hello Everyone.
                                    >
                                    > I'm a new member here and I am really enjoying reading all the
                                    posts. I hope I can contribute soon too! Is there anyone besides me
                                    in Baja California?

                                    > Ensenada Tom
                                    >

                                    > Make Money From Your Hobby - LEARN HOW HERE
                                    >
                                    > ---------------------------------
                                    web links.

                                  • just me
                                    Message 17 of 23 , Sep 29, 2007
                                      I have been through Ensenada. My friends grandparents lived in Bajia De Los Angeles. Beautiful country. Sorry for the misspelling.
                                    • !Zapata Vive!
                                      Message 18 of 23 , Oct 1, 2007
                                        Wow!  I was just about to reply that I had spent some time in Ensenada, before going down to Bajia De Los Angeles where I stayed at a friends grandparents house.
                                        Seriously.

                                        We spent a few days in Ensenada with no real plans other than driving south, and one of the people we met there offered us his grandparents house.  Apparently nobody was ever home, they just kept the house to get money from the government.  Which is something I'm not quite sure how it works, they could pay me to keep a house there, that's for sure!  Spent a week or so there, nice little place right next to the cemetery, and dropped the key off when we made it back north.

                                        Small world, smaller peninsula.

                                        Welcome aboard Tom!
                                        Do they always put greenbeans in juevos rancheros?  3 different places we ate in Ensenada did that.  Now I do it all the time!
                                        So Tom, what do you prefer Patron or Don Julio?  I'm a LONG way from Ensenada, but I'm drinking blanca tonight, Don Julio for me!

                                        Message 19 of 23 , May 31, 2009
                                          --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "mini_me51ad" <clarenceabbott@...> wrote:

                                          > Hello folks
                                          > I've followed many of your posts for the last couple of years and have
                                          > been a member of another forum. I'm an experienced VM column distiller
                                          > and have recently taken an interest in Reverse Liquid Management.
                                          > Harry's insights have inspired me on more than one occasion and rkr's
                                          > automation skills have astounded me. Hoping I can contribute in some
                                          > small way to your home away from home.

                                          Welcome aboard Minime! Good to see you. Activity here comes in waves. Sometimes fast, sometimes slow. But the group is a very experienced crew. You should fit right in. :)

                                        • abbababbaccc
                                          Message 20 of 23 , May 31, 2009
                                            Welcome Minime,

                                            Here's the original RLM discussion:

                                            Slainte, Riku

                                            --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "mini_me51ad" <clarenceabbott@...> wrote:

                                            > Hello folks
                                            > I've followed many of your posts for the last couple of years and have
                                            > been a member of another forum. I'm an experienced VM column distiller
                                            > and have recently taken an interest in Reverse Liquid Management.
                                            > Harry's insights have inspired me on more than one occasion and rkr's
                                            > automation skills have astounded me. Hoping I can contribute in some
                                            > small way to your home away from home.

                                          • rye_junkie1
                                            Message 21 of 23 , Jun 1, 2009

                                              > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "mini_me51ad" <clarenceabbott@> wrote:
                                              > >
                                              > > Hello folks
                                              > > I've followed many of your posts for the last couple of years and have
                                              > > been a member of another forum. I'm an experienced VM column distiller
                                              > > and have recently taken an interest in Reverse Liquid Management.
                                              > > Harry's insights have inspired me on more than one occasion and rkr's
                                              > > automation skills have astounded me. Hoping I can contribute in some
                                              > > small way to your home away from home.
                                              > >

                                              > Welcome aboard Minime! Good to see you. Activity here comes in waves. Sometimes fast, sometimes slow. But the group is a very experienced crew. You should fit right in. :)
                                              >

                                              > Slainte!
                                              > regards Harry

                                              Please join in with New Distillers also. You're input would be much appreciated.

                                              Mason
                                            • KM Services
                                              Message 22 of 23 , Jun 1, 2009

                                                > Welcome aboard Minime! Good to see you. Activity here comes in waves.
                                                Sometimes fast, sometimes slow. But the group is a very experienced crew. You should fit right in. :)

                                                > Slainte!
                                                > regards Harry

                                                Please join in with New Distillers also. You're input would be much appreciated.
                                                http://groups. yahoo.com/ group/new_ distillers/

                                                Mason

                                              • KM Services
                                                Message 23 of 23 , Jun 1, 2009

                                                  I agree totally with Mason…welcome Minime I have seen your postings on the other site

                                                  Ken Mc (This is my opinion and if I am wrong I will be corrected I am sure)