Re: [Distillers] pot scrubbers

  • Giles
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 5, 2000
      On 6 Dec 00, at 0:17, nvo@... wrote:

      > Just distilled water through my fractionating still and noticed a
      > taint to the collected water. Upon investigation. The cause was the
      > stainless steel pot scrubbers.I boiled some water in my normal kettle
      > and tasted the water (no taint).I then put some of the boiled water
      > from the kettle into a glass cup and inserted one of the pot scrubbers
      > and left it there for a while.Tasted it and yes there was that taint
      > again.I beleive that the taint is definately coming from the pot
      > scrubbers.I am sitting here now smelling the pot scrubber since it
      > has cooled down and the best description I can tell is it smells like
      > a wet sea sponge that you get from the beach.
      > Any clues anybody to what brand to use.
      >
      > regards andrew
      I noticed the same thing and boiled the scrubbers in caustic soda
      etc etc to rid them of the taint. Same disgusting taste when water
      was distilled.
      Good news though. The alcohol produced with the same and all
      subsequent scrubbers tasted just fine. Not a hint of the foul taste.

      Dont know why - something in the water perchance? Possibly a
      reaction between the SS and the copper tube in the still which
      doesn't take place in the presence of alcohol but does in the
      presence of water vapour. As i understand it, virtually no water
      vapour makes it as far as the packing when the still is working
      correctly to produce alcohol. Also the temp in the column is a lot
      lower when distilling alcohol.
    • Pete Sayers
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 5, 2000
        Andrew the taste you are finding may well be the oils that are used to cut
        the shavings. Boil the S/S scrubbers in water first.
        regards Pete from Brewers Barn