Re: [Distillers] Re: recipe

  • Matt
    Message 1 of 16 , Dec 5, 2000
      this site has some great history on Tequila and the raw materials used:
      http://www.georgian.net/rally/tequila/index.html

      Matthew at psibercom spore@...
      Business, Numbers, People, Money
      Time, Travel, Communication, Entertainment
    • K & J
      Message 2 of 16 , Mar 9, 2003

         Just looked at still spirit site and found these recipes for those interested    http://www.stillspirits.com/Instructions/terrys%20recipes.pdf

        cheers
        Ken Mc
      • Seamus
        Message 3 of 16 , Mar 9, 2003
          These are great recipe ideas. Thank you Ken.

          John
          Message 4 of 16 , Mar 9, 2003
            I was just curious if anyone has tried the amazing still from amazingstill.com and what their impression of it is. I've read about freeze distilling as well and was just curious if anyone has tried it.

            Chris
          • abbababbaccc
            Message 5 of 16 , Mar 9, 2003
              Use the search option and you'll find a lot of information. Both
              methods work.

              Greetz, Riku

              --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "chris" <chris@s...> wrote:
              > I was just curious if anyone has tried the amazing still from
              amazingstill.com and what their impression of it is. I've read about
              freeze distilling as well and was just curious if anyone has tried it.

              > Chris
            • Alan
              Message 6 of 16 , Jul 31, 2005
                I seen a recipe awhile back using sweet horse feed.......silly i know
                but has anyone tried this???
              • donald holcombe
                Message 7 of 16 , Aug 1, 2005
                  Some sweet feed has additives in it . Some of these are not good for making beverages. Check the ingredients very carefully before using. I know some guys who tried it , they said it was good I didnt try it. I have used scratch chicken feed and brown sugar. The beer was better than the likker.I use mostly cornmeal barley and rye .I got a rye sour mash working now. I need to make some rum soon. I might try the dunder method .I like black rum like Myers.

                  Alan <clemewa@...> wrote:I seen a recipe awhile back using sweet horse feed.......silly i know
                  but has anyone tried this???

                  Management team Food and drink Organizational culture Culture

                  ---------------------------------

                • Robert Thomas
                  Message 8 of 16 , Aug 1, 2005
                    If you're gonna try dunder, note that it is the still
                    remains that are left to stand. They have no
                    yeast-fermentables, the pH is ca 5-7. Also, you might
                    want to waft them around a rum-distillery first. I
                    will indead leave mine hanging about a bit, but not
                    holding my breath (or should that be holding my
                    breath!).
                    Also, I noted in my horse feed molasses the inclusion
                    of propionic acid as preservative. I know it's
                    antifungal, it may be antibacterial (it doesn't seem
                    to be anti-bakers' yeast so far), but if it doesn't
                    still off as an ester it might interfere.
                    Good luck, and keep the clothes pegs handy!
                    Rob.

                    --- donald holcombe <blackledge_02@...> wrote:

                    > Some sweet feed has additives in it . Some of these
                    > are not good for making beverages. Check the
                    > ingredients very carefully before using. I know some
                    > guys who tried it , they said it was good I didnt
                    > try it. I have used scratch chicken feed and brown
                    > sugar. The beer was better than the likker.I use
                    > mostly cornmeal barley and rye .I got a rye sour
                    > mash working now. I need to make some rum soon. I
                    > might try the dunder method .I like black rum like
                    > Myers.
                    >
                    > Alan <clemewa@...> wrote:I seen a recipe
                    > awhile back using sweet horse feed.......silly i
                    > know
                    > but has anyone tried this???
                    >

                    > Distillers list archives :
                    > http://archive.nnytech.net/
                    > FAQ and other information at
                    > http://homedistiller.org

                    > Management team Food and drink Organizational
                    > culture Culture

                    > Yahoo! Terms of Service.
                    >

                    > ---------------------------------

                    > removed]

                    http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs
                  • Robert Thomas
                    Message 9 of 16 , Aug 1, 2005
                      Also saw this:
                      Propionic acid is a clear, colorless liquid with a
                      slightly sweetish odor. It is soluble in water and
                      alcohol; melts at -21 C, boils at 141 C. It is used as
                      a preservative in feed and food industry directly or
                      in the forms of ammonium propionate, calcium and
                      sodium propionates. It is used to manufacture various
                      propionates which used in the reduction of
                      pharmaceuticals, anti-fungal agents, agrochemicals,
                      plastics, plasticizers, rubber chemicals, dyes,
                      artificial flavors and perfumery synthetics. It is
                      used also as a solvent and in nickel-electroplating
                      solutions. Ethyl Propionate is used in perfumery and
                      fragrance. Odor description: fruity rum juicy fruit.

                      So it might actually be good in rum!
                      Rob.

                      http://mail.yahoo.com
                    • Cary Rhodes
                      Message 10 of 16 , Aug 1, 2005
                        use ALL GRAIN horse feed.

                        Its the higher priced product.

                        It works fine. I made up a batch yesterday.

                        About 2 inches of horse feed in the primary fermenter, 12 lbs sugar,
                        couple pints of cracked corn, your favorite yeast. I used Black
                        Label yesterday.

                        You might add a little Amalyse enzyme to convert some of the starches
                        in the grain.

                        cary

                        --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Alan" <clemewa@y...> wrote:
                        > I seen a recipe awhile back using sweet horse feed.......silly i
                        know
                        > but has anyone tried this???
                      • Robert Thomas
                        Message 11 of 16 , Aug 1, 2005
                          Hi Cary,
                          Sorry, talking at cross purposes!
                          I just wanted to point out the pros and cons of horse
                          molasses.
                          I actually have no idea what's in "horse feed".
                          Enlighten me (and maybe a few others).
                          All I know it horse molases is a suplement or a method
                          of stopping drying out/ dusting.

                          Cheers,
                          Rob
                          p.s. the kitchen is very noisy with bubblers going!~!

                          http://mail.yahoo.com
                          Message 12 of 16 , Aug 1, 2005
                            --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, Robert Thomas <whosbrewing@y...>
                            wrote:
                            > If you're gonna try dunder, note that it is the still
                            > remains that are left to stand. They have no
                            > yeast-fermentables, the pH is ca 5-7. Also, you might
                            > want to waft them around a rum-distillery first. I
                            > will indead leave mine hanging about a bit, but not
                            > holding my breath (or should that be holding my
                            > breath!).
                            > Also, I noted in my horse feed molasses the inclusion
                            > of propionic acid as preservative. I know it's
                            > antifungal, it may be antibacterial (it doesn't seem
                            > to be anti-bakers' yeast so far), but if it doesn't
                            > still off as an ester it might interfere.
                            > Good luck, and keep the clothes pegs handy!
                            > Rob.

                            I wouldn't worry about the propionic acid, in fact it should help
                            with your rum flavour. Propionic acid and iso-butyl alcohol (aka
                            Propanol, found in the later portion of tails as a fusel) form the
                            ester iso-butyl propionate [CH3CH2CO2CH2CH(CH3)2] which is literally
                            rum flavour as prepared in the flavouring industry.

                          • Robert Hubble
                            Message 13 of 16 , Aug 1, 2005
                              >From: Robert Thomas <whosbrewing@...>
                              >To: Distillers@yahoogroups.com
                              >Subject: Re: [Distillers] Re: recipe
                              >Date: Mon, 1 Aug 2005 09:19:25 -0700 (PDT)
                              >
                              >Hi Cary,
                              >Sorry, talking at cross purposes!
                              >I just wanted to point out the pros and cons of horse
                              >molasses.
                              >I actually have no idea what's in "horse feed".
                              >Enlighten me (and maybe a few others).
                              >All I know it horse molases is a suplement or a method
                              >of stopping drying out/ dusting.

                              Hi Rob,

                              And horse molasses makes passable rum. Admittedly, I have to work on my cut
                              procedure a bit to solve some harshness, but I think it will work out fine.
                              And, at $13 US for 50 lbs, the price is right.

                              zymurgy Bob

                              ----snip----

                              >http://mail.yahoo.com

                            • cyphertt
                              Message 14 of 16 , Sep 14, 2005
                                I get a 50lb bag of "sweet feed" here in eastern KY for 11.50 lasts a
                                hell of a long time. Makes some of the best liker you ever tasted.
                                I use the whiskey yeast. Whisky Yeast with AG is a real distillery
                                whisky yeast with Amyloglucosidase, and is used in some of the finest
                                whisky distilleries in the world. It breaks down the sugars in the
                                grain itself. I boil the feed for a few minutes and let her cool then
                                pitch the yeast. Takes a little while to ferment, like 7 to 10 days,
                                but its worth it. Had an old timer (in his 70's) tell me that this
                                drink puts some of the stuff he used to make to shame. I don't sell
                                it. I drink it. Friends want a quart, I give it to 'em. Start selling
                                it and you get to the point where you ain't giving a shit about
                                quality, just quantity. Not to mention the fact that somebody (no
                                matter how well you trust them) is going to talk. Before you know it,
                                the law is looking at you. Three months out of the year, I miss my
                                hobby (December thru March) but come spring, I'm right back at what I
                                love best. Making the recipe.

                                --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Robert Hubble" <zymurgybob@h...>