Re: recipe

  • Andrew
    Message 1 of 16 , Dec 5, 2000
      I haven't tried to make tequila myself yet, but from what I know
      about
      it, it is similar to making Rum or Whiskey. I.E. the mash is very
      important for the correct flavor, you don't want to use activated
      carbon (this will extract the flavor you want), but some charcoal
      and/or oak is probably good. Tequila is made from the nectar of the
      agave cactus. I actually saw some bulk agave nectar available in my
      local health/natural food store. I'm going to try it out myself as
      soon as I finish the rum I'm on.
      -Andrew

      --- In Distillers@egroups.com, daveandand@c... wrote:
      > does anyone have a recipe for tequila? i cant seem to find one on
      the net.
    • Matt
      Message 2 of 16 , Dec 5, 2000
        this site has some great history on Tequila and the raw materials used:
        http://www.georgian.net/rally/tequila/index.html

        Matthew at psibercom spore@...
        Business, Numbers, People, Money
        Time, Travel, Communication, Entertainment
      • K & J
        Message 3 of 16 , Mar 9, 2003

           Just looked at still spirit site and found these recipes for those interested    http://www.stillspirits.com/Instructions/terrys%20recipes.pdf

          cheers
          Ken Mc
        • Seamus
          Message 4 of 16 , Mar 9, 2003
            These are great recipe ideas. Thank you Ken.

            John
            Message 5 of 16 , Mar 9, 2003
              I was just curious if anyone has tried the amazing still from amazingstill.com and what their impression of it is. I've read about freeze distilling as well and was just curious if anyone has tried it.

              Chris
            • abbababbaccc
              Message 6 of 16 , Mar 9, 2003
                Use the search option and you'll find a lot of information. Both
                methods work.

                Greetz, Riku

                --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "chris" <chris@s...> wrote:
                > I was just curious if anyone has tried the amazing still from
                amazingstill.com and what their impression of it is. I've read about
                freeze distilling as well and was just curious if anyone has tried it.

                > Chris
              • Alan
                Message 7 of 16 , Jul 31, 2005
                  I seen a recipe awhile back using sweet horse feed.......silly i know
                  but has anyone tried this???
                • donald holcombe
                  Message 8 of 16 , Aug 1, 2005
                    Some sweet feed has additives in it . Some of these are not good for making beverages. Check the ingredients very carefully before using. I know some guys who tried it , they said it was good I didnt try it. I have used scratch chicken feed and brown sugar. The beer was better than the likker.I use mostly cornmeal barley and rye .I got a rye sour mash working now. I need to make some rum soon. I might try the dunder method .I like black rum like Myers.

                    Alan <clemewa@...> wrote:I seen a recipe awhile back using sweet horse feed.......silly i know
                    but has anyone tried this???

                    Management team Food and drink Organizational culture Culture

                    ---------------------------------

                  • Robert Thomas
                    Message 9 of 16 , Aug 1, 2005
                      If you're gonna try dunder, note that it is the still
                      remains that are left to stand. They have no
                      yeast-fermentables, the pH is ca 5-7. Also, you might
                      want to waft them around a rum-distillery first. I
                      will indead leave mine hanging about a bit, but not
                      holding my breath (or should that be holding my
                      breath!).
                      Also, I noted in my horse feed molasses the inclusion
                      of propionic acid as preservative. I know it's
                      antifungal, it may be antibacterial (it doesn't seem
                      to be anti-bakers' yeast so far), but if it doesn't
                      still off as an ester it might interfere.
                      Good luck, and keep the clothes pegs handy!
                      Rob.

                      --- donald holcombe <blackledge_02@...> wrote:

                      > Some sweet feed has additives in it . Some of these
                      > are not good for making beverages. Check the
                      > ingredients very carefully before using. I know some
                      > guys who tried it , they said it was good I didnt
                      > try it. I have used scratch chicken feed and brown
                      > sugar. The beer was better than the likker.I use
                      > mostly cornmeal barley and rye .I got a rye sour
                      > mash working now. I need to make some rum soon. I
                      > might try the dunder method .I like black rum like
                      > Myers.
                      >
                      > Alan <clemewa@...> wrote:I seen a recipe
                      > awhile back using sweet horse feed.......silly i
                      > know
                      > but has anyone tried this???
                      >

                      > Distillers list archives :
                      > http://archive.nnytech.net/
                      > FAQ and other information at
                      > http://homedistiller.org

                      > Management team Food and drink Organizational
                      > culture Culture

                      > Yahoo! Terms of Service.
                      >

                      > ---------------------------------

                      > removed]

                      http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs
                    • Robert Thomas
                      Message 10 of 16 , Aug 1, 2005
                        Also saw this:
                        Propionic acid is a clear, colorless liquid with a
                        slightly sweetish odor. It is soluble in water and
                        alcohol; melts at -21 C, boils at 141 C. It is used as
                        a preservative in feed and food industry directly or
                        in the forms of ammonium propionate, calcium and
                        sodium propionates. It is used to manufacture various
                        propionates which used in the reduction of
                        pharmaceuticals, anti-fungal agents, agrochemicals,
                        plastics, plasticizers, rubber chemicals, dyes,
                        artificial flavors and perfumery synthetics. It is
                        used also as a solvent and in nickel-electroplating
                        solutions. Ethyl Propionate is used in perfumery and
                        fragrance. Odor description: fruity rum juicy fruit.

                        So it might actually be good in rum!
                        Rob.

                        http://mail.yahoo.com
                      • Cary Rhodes
                        Message 11 of 16 , Aug 1, 2005
                          use ALL GRAIN horse feed.

                          Its the higher priced product.

                          It works fine. I made up a batch yesterday.

                          About 2 inches of horse feed in the primary fermenter, 12 lbs sugar,
                          couple pints of cracked corn, your favorite yeast. I used Black
                          Label yesterday.

                          You might add a little Amalyse enzyme to convert some of the starches
                          in the grain.

                          cary

                          --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Alan" <clemewa@y...> wrote:
                          > I seen a recipe awhile back using sweet horse feed.......silly i
                          know
                          > but has anyone tried this???
                        • Robert Thomas
                          Message 12 of 16 , Aug 1, 2005
                            Hi Cary,
                            Sorry, talking at cross purposes!
                            I just wanted to point out the pros and cons of horse
                            molasses.
                            I actually have no idea what's in "horse feed".
                            Enlighten me (and maybe a few others).
                            All I know it horse molases is a suplement or a method
                            of stopping drying out/ dusting.

                            Cheers,
                            Rob
                            p.s. the kitchen is very noisy with bubblers going!~!

                            http://mail.yahoo.com
                            Message 13 of 16 , Aug 1, 2005
                              --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, Robert Thomas <whosbrewing@y...>
                              wrote:
                              > If you're gonna try dunder, note that it is the still
                              > remains that are left to stand. They have no
                              > yeast-fermentables, the pH is ca 5-7. Also, you might
                              > want to waft them around a rum-distillery first. I
                              > will indead leave mine hanging about a bit, but not
                              > holding my breath (or should that be holding my
                              > breath!).
                              > Also, I noted in my horse feed molasses the inclusion
                              > of propionic acid as preservative. I know it's
                              > antifungal, it may be antibacterial (it doesn't seem
                              > to be anti-bakers' yeast so far), but if it doesn't
                              > still off as an ester it might interfere.
                              > Good luck, and keep the clothes pegs handy!
                              > Rob.

                              I wouldn't worry about the propionic acid, in fact it should help
                              with your rum flavour. Propionic acid and iso-butyl alcohol (aka
                              Propanol, found in the later portion of tails as a fusel) form the
                              ester iso-butyl propionate [CH3CH2CO2CH2CH(CH3)2] which is literally
                              rum flavour as prepared in the flavouring industry.

                            • Robert Hubble
                              Message 14 of 16 , Aug 1, 2005
                                >From: Robert Thomas <whosbrewing@...>
                                >To: Distillers@yahoogroups.com
                                >Subject: Re: [Distillers] Re: recipe
                                >Date: Mon, 1 Aug 2005 09:19:25 -0700 (PDT)
                                >
                                >Hi Cary,
                                >Sorry, talking at cross purposes!
                                >I just wanted to point out the pros and cons of horse
                                >molasses.
                                >I actually have no idea what's in "horse feed".
                                >Enlighten me (and maybe a few others).
                                >All I know it horse molases is a suplement or a method
                                >of stopping drying out/ dusting.

                                Hi Rob,

                                And horse molasses makes passable rum. Admittedly, I have to work on my cut
                                procedure a bit to solve some harshness, but I think it will work out fine.
                                And, at $13 US for 50 lbs, the price is right.

                                zymurgy Bob

                                ----snip----

                                >http://mail.yahoo.com

                              • cyphertt
                                Message 15 of 16 , Sep 14, 2005
                                  I get a 50lb bag of "sweet feed" here in eastern KY for 11.50 lasts a
                                  hell of a long time. Makes some of the best liker you ever tasted.
                                  I use the whiskey yeast. Whisky Yeast with AG is a real distillery
                                  whisky yeast with Amyloglucosidase, and is used in some of the finest
                                  whisky distilleries in the world. It breaks down the sugars in the
                                  grain itself. I boil the feed for a few minutes and let her cool then
                                  pitch the yeast. Takes a little while to ferment, like 7 to 10 days,
                                  but its worth it. Had an old timer (in his 70's) tell me that this
                                  drink puts some of the stuff he used to make to shame. I don't sell
                                  it. I drink it. Friends want a quart, I give it to 'em. Start selling
                                  it and you get to the point where you ain't giving a shit about
                                  quality, just quantity. Not to mention the fact that somebody (no
                                  matter how well you trust them) is going to talk. Before you know it,
                                  the law is looking at you. Three months out of the year, I miss my
                                  hobby (December thru March) but come spring, I'm right back at what I
                                  love best. Making the recipe.

                                  --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Robert Hubble" <zymurgybob@h...>