RE: [Distillers] Raschig Rings / reflux into pot

  • Ackland, Tony (CALNZAS)
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 3, 2000
      Rachig rings are tubes or shapes made to have heaps of surface area; see :
      http://www.5continentsusa.com/cer-pack.htm for pictures of them and other
      types of packing. By increasing the amount of surface area for the liquid &
      vapour to mingle over, you increase the transfer of water-ethanol that
      happens, and thus get higher purity alcohol for the same volume of packing.
      For distillation columns under 100mm diameter however, its easier, (and more
      effective) to use stainless steel wool scrubbers - they offer even more
      surface area. Why you don't use them in larger columns is because they
      don't pack togehter well when theres heaps of them, and they're harder to
      keep clean. But they cost only a fraction of raschig rings.

      I haven't yet seen a pot conversion for the Euro, but yes it does come with
      packing already in it - some "almost rachig" like tubes at either end, with
      a core of stainless steel wool

      Tony